• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

things to look for when checking out a used oce?

somoflange

I'm going to be looking at some used fuji and oce flatbed machines. I think it's worthwhile to actually go see the machines in person.

I'm going to check print quality of course- is there a checklist somewhere of things I should inspect, listen for, smell, etc- telltale signs that a machine has or hasn't been well cared for?

iprint

A few things that I would look at... (Note that I have never bought used, but do have an Arizona)
-Nozzle Check! Make sure all nozzles are firing perfectly, printheads are $$$(around 4k each I think, but don't quote me on that) but as long as the machine has been maintained properly should last a long time.
-Cleanliness, a dirty machine is a sign that the machine has been neglected or mistreated. Have them open the service tray and inspect the print head area. Note that it may not look pristine, but shouldn't be filthy with dust & debris.
-Find out when the lamps & filters were last replaced. Filters are an annual replacement and lamps should last around 800 hours. There is a "Counters" tab on the printer display that should tell you how many hours are on the lamps, but this counter can be reset manually so it may or may not be true. This tab will also tell you how many square feet has been output by the printer.
-Make sure the vacuum table is working properly. I am only familiar with the 550XT and you didn't indicate which model you were looking at, but it has 2 main zones and a third zone in between the two that can be opened to work in conjunction with zone 1 for full table or over-sized printing.
-lastly would be to have them show the machine in action and actually print something other than a nozzle check. That way you can verify that it is working properly. Have them print something utilizing the white ink if applicable. White is the most finicky, but as long as you are getting a good nozzle check shouldn't be an issue.

I am sure that there are other things to look at, but these are the things that I would check out having been around one. Another thing that I would look into is having the machine professionally de-installed, transported and re-installed either by Oce or an accredited third party. Setting up the machine and making sure that everything is aligned, square and level is of the most importance to ensure a properly working printer. Leveling was the longest part of installation. Let us know if you have any other questions.