• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Think I need a new MacBook Pro SuperDrive?

TheSnowman

I have been getting frequent errors on my MacBook Pro after four or five years of burning 100's and 100's of discs. I'm looking to replace it, but didn't know where to even start. I stumbled upon a bigger hard drive for it once and upgraded that...but I haven't "stumbled" across anything for a new SuperDrive. Anyone done Mac upgrades and had a website that you always go to for parts? Just want to make sure it's compatible. I'm going to start at MacMall, but wasn't sure if that was the best or not.

Suggestions?

TheSnowman

Well, I just chatted w/ someone at MacMall, and they don't even carry something like that. They want to sell me an External. I use this thing like once a week, that'd be annoying. NEXT!?

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
if you want to fix any Mac this is the website to go to. Desktops are easy to replace drives, memory, you name it. Laptops are tricky because you need the proper screwdrivers and other tools to remove specialized screws. Not all screws are easy to remove. Also tolerances to make these machines so thin mean it is easy to mess up the various connectors inside when you start taking things apart. Often you have to remove other parts just to get to the part you want to replace

http://www.ifixit.com/Browse/MacBook_Pro

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I have been getting frequent errors on my MacBook Pro after four or five years of burning 100's and 100's of discs. I'm looking to replace it, but didn't know where to even start. I stumbled upon a bigger hard drive for it once and upgraded that...but I haven't "stumbled" across anything for a new SuperDrive. Anyone done Mac upgrades and had a website that you always go to for parts? Just want to make sure it's compatible. I'm going to start at MacMall, but wasn't sure if that was the best or not.

Suggestions?

What kind of errors? Have you tried logging in as another account name to make sure it is a hardware error and not software?

m_s_p

I get all of my HDs and optical drives from Macsales.com. They have replacement super drives for laptops.

TheSnowman

I just can't burn anything...from iDVD or if I make an image file, and try to burn that using Disk Utility, it won't do it. I've replaced the Keyboard (which was the worst) because I spilled Root Beer all over it, then I upgraded the Hard Drive...I'm thinking I have all the tools to pull it off cause I've bought everything I needed to do it right each time.

According to that, what I'd need is this:
http://www.ifixit.com/PowerBook-Par...rce=ifixit_guide&utm_content=related_products

It's easier than what I had to do to put the keyboard in, so I know I can pull it off. I guess I'll just order one, and hope for the best.

I'm not sure what you mean by "log in as another account name" because I've only got one on here, and I don't even log in, it just boots up to my desktop.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I just can't burn anything...from iDVD or if I make an image file, and try to burn that using Disk Utility, it won't do it. I've replaced the Keyboard (which was the worst) because I spilled Root Beer all over it, then I upgraded the Hard Drive...I'm thinking I have all the tools to pull it off cause I've bought everything I needed to do it right each time.

According to that, what I'd need is this:
http://www.ifixit.com/PowerBook-Par...rce=ifixit_guide&utm_content=related_products

It's easier than what I had to do to put the keyboard in, so I know I can pull it off. I guess I'll just order one, and hope for the best.

I'm not sure what you mean by "log in as another account name" because I've only got one on here, and I don't even log in, it just boots up to my desktop.

System preferences, click on Accounts and then click on the + symbol. That way if you have multiple users on your computer the other users can login to their own account and have their own "dock", backgrounds, passwords in Safari, itunes, photos, etc etc. Even if you are the only user it is a good idea to create a unique account for testing problems. Let's say you do have a program that keeps crashing. You then can determine if the problem is with the whole program or some corrupt file on your account. If the problem goes away with the test account, then you know the issue is a corrupt file and not the whole program

There are numerous other advantages to having alternate login accounts, but that is for another time/thread

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-05-26 at 9.16.20 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-05-26 at 9.16.20 PM.png
    141.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Screen shot 2011-05-26 at 9.17.05 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-05-26 at 9.17.05 PM.png
    70.4 KB · Views: 52

TheSnowman

You must have a MacBook Pro 17" from the webpage you posted. Try OWC or Macsales.com

Yes, I do.

Eric, I think I'll try that this weekend if you think there's a possibility of that...I didn't think that just another account could fix that. I just put a new hard drive in it late last year, so it shouldn't be too whacked out, but there's always a chance I guess. I'll give that a try and see if it'll let me burn anything. Can I drag files between users or am I going to have to create all new files to burn?

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Yes, I do.

Eric, I think I'll try that this weekend if you think there's a possibility of that...I didn't think that just another account could fix that. I just put a new hard drive in it late last year, so it shouldn't be too whacked out, but there's always a chance I guess. I'll give that a try and see if it'll let me burn anything. Can I drag files between users or am I going to have to create all new files to burn?

It won't fix the problem per se, but rather confirm if this is hardware or software related. Copying files from account to another is ok if you are desperate but only wastes space as you will have a copy twice on your hard drive. If the problem goes away on the 2nd login account then you know it is a software issue and likely just need to reinstall the OS. If the problem persists, then you can be almost certain it is hardware related

John Butto

If you want to check hardware problems, just get your install disks and hold down c key on start up, go to utilities and run a test.