• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thinking about buying a CJV30-60

grphx

So I'll give you a rundown on my operation. I plan on doing small scale sticker making for my friends for various car clubs and other car related stickers. People like those goofy little stickers you see all over the windshields. I doubt I'd do any huge car wraps, keeping a pretty small scale operation.

The area I will be doing this is pretty small, and I have nothing but time to dedicate for the sticker making. I don't plan on doing a lot of business, so needing a plotter and printer is not something I'm looking for.

It seems like the CJV30-60 is a good starter setup for someone wanting to get their feet wet into the business(which is exactly the reason I chose this model. I'm not dead set on any brand or model, but this is pretty much what I have narrowed my choice down to.

Also I'm kind of confused on what the printer can print on. I'd assume it can print on the decal paper, but what about normal paper or anything thicker than normal/decal paper?

Here is a link to one website selling one, if you want more info on it. I'm not saying I"m buying from that website or anything, but figured I'd link to what I was actually looking at just to make sure things are clearer.

http://cemerlang-store.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=39_41&product_id=64

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Here's a link to the manufacturer's page for the unit you are looking at. It is a $12,000+ print and cut system. It will definitely work for your needs along with a laminating machine to protect the prints. By the time you're done, expect to have close to $20K invested in your business doing stickers for car club buddies.

The linked site you have been looking at is located in Indonesia and is priced at about 25% of the manufacturer's price ... so you should regard them with the highest levels of suspicion.

grphx

I didn't realize that it was located in Indonesia. I guess I thought this printer was a lot cheaper than it really is! The other models/brands seem to start out at $12k so I guess there is no way to start out under that price then.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
There are lots of options in the used market but that can be real headaches if you lack experience. Have you considered just designing and farming out the production?

grphx

There are lots of options in the used market but that can be real headaches if you lack experience. Have you considered just designing and farming out the production?

I thought about doing that honestly. That would be a lot cheaper(up front at least) and less labor for me for sure. I guess I just wanted a little side business/hobby. Do people come across as a sticker company and farm out work like that often?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I thought about doing that honestly. That would be a lot cheaper(up front at least) and less labor for me for sure. I guess I just wanted a little side business/hobby. Do people come across as a sticker company and farm out work like that often?

I've known quite a few people who ended up in the business full time after starting out in some fashion such as you describe. I've also seen a lot of used equipment end up for sale when others became fascinated with the technology and thought that was all there was to being in the business. From what I see, you've simply become aware that a demand may exist for the decals you call "stickers". So your discovery would fall under marketing. Your problem is to put the demand together with the finished product and you are leaping to the conclusion that this is a capability you can only resolve by purchasing the specialized equipment and materials to produce the decals.

I would suggest that you educate yourself on the software aspects of designing and creating a production file. Then shop among wholesale outsource jobbers such as are listed in our merchant directory or seek out someone willing to work with you in your local market.

grphx

Fred, I think I was searching for advice that you are giving more than what equipment to get. You described me to a T! I don't mind spending $3-5k on a hobby, this wouldn't be the first expensive "hobby" I got. But $12k is pushing it. I might just outsource some designs and do it that way.

OhioSignShop

stickers for cars

If your just doing color stickers with solid graphics and one color ( or more with multiple layers) check out a simple 24" vinyl cutter for around $2,500 (Summausa.com) Graphtec or Mimaki al have good ones. No lamination is required. Buy rolls of vinyl, application tape (Fellers, Grimco )and a computer and your about set. I'd suggest you attend a trade show like the upcoming NBM shows (theNBMshow.com) and get some training.
If your looking at full color decals and have low volume, check the Summa DC4sx for around $12,000. Again no lamination is required for this type of thermal transfer but it is about 3 times as expensive as solvent inks and slower.
You will have a learning curve with any of this stuff so learn as much as you can from somebody that's doing it now.
Good luck
Larry Burfield