• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thinking about buying a new S30670, any tips/tricks/thoughts?

EternalAudio

Coming from a Mutoh 1612 and Roland 300.

Working pretty much stricktly with Flexisign, as far as RIP goes. I'm not sure if the Epson will work with FS, as dealer couldnt tell me. Says comes with ONYX basic, but have never used that.

Any owners out there in sign land have any great/horrible things to say on the S30? Selling to me shipped to location for $12,995+tax USD

a77

I have the S30.
It can produce some of the best quality out there.
But I have had problems. Mostly with cyan channels. They've had one recall that I know about... and another member just posted that there was another batch of ink that causes problems (but oddly no recall). Head has been replaced 2-3 times (don't even remember.) I've noticed the last change has made a big difference in performance.

You can really get some very nice fine details, and beautiful colours, if you have the ability to profile. I'm running caldera.

Best piece of advice would be get as long a warranty as your dealer is willing to offer, or as much as you can afford.

Snydo

The S30 runs fine with flexi 10 & Cloud. Great printer for the price point.

If you want to see if a particular printer is supported just do a 'add setup' and see if its in the list, even if its not in the list doesn't mean its not supported...call Sai and they will take care of you if they support it.

DougWestwood

Epson / ONYX

Hi There,

I have run an Epson S30670, with Roland Versa Works rip software.
Solid machine, did notice some overspray from the magenta heads, but that seems to be specific to that unit, not overall.
VersaWorks is pretty easy to use.

Did notice that the Epson rolls the material forward at every chance.
Former boss used to cry so hard about 6" of wasted material. The machine has a heater directly in front, and if you cut off a print, it leaves a few inches to melt and warp on the heater. Boss used to tell me to print on it anyway, which led to streaks and head strikes. Just let the machine roll it forward and you'll avoid wasting time and even MORE material.
Former boss wasn't very adept in the print business, he was more of a salesman.

ONYX is by far the better program, having run both in the past and currently.
I wouldn't use Flexi to do anything but cut vinyl letters.

Good Luck!
- Doug
Vancouver

EternalAudio

Hi There,

I have run an Epson S30670, with Roland Versa Works rip software.
Solid machine, did notice some overspray from the magenta heads, but that seems to be specific to that unit, not overall.
VersaWorks is pretty easy to use.

Did notice that the Epson rolls the material forward at every chance.
Former boss used to cry so hard about 6" of wasted material. The machine has a heater directly in front, and if you cut off a print, it leaves a few inches to melt and warp on the heater. Boss used to tell me to print on it anyway, which led to streaks and head strikes. Just let the machine roll it forward and you'll avoid wasting time and even MORE material.
Former boss wasn't very adept in the print business, he was more of a salesman.

ONYX is by far the better program, having run both in the past and currently.
I wouldn't use Flexi to do anything but cut vinyl letters.

Good Luck!
- Doug
Vancouver

Thanks for the info. It seems that a few people are getting cyan overspray, and now you are saying magenta on yours.. Makes me wonder about the machine.

Snydo

For $2,000 a year you can buy an extended service plan after your warranty expires. A bargain really if your making money with your printer....for us service has always been next day and our D1 tech is superb.

1leonchen

Excellent machine. Ran one for a company part time for a year. Easy to run load. Clean. Dummy proof. Good all rounder for small to medium shop.banners great. Vynil for every day use great. Fabric good. Heated excellent. Dryer awesome, really awesome. Only draw back is hi resolution like 8 to 12 pass slow. Don't like printing wraps. Slow. 4 pass will do average any thing. Never use flexi with this machine. Onyx is good.just as good as flexi . More adobe compatibility. Easy to use contour cut. Better in some ways rip engine.better through output. Depending on artwork longer rip time on 300 ppi files. Quality now as good as previous replacement gs6000. Prints a simulated grainy look if examined close.no wave technology. Huge draw back.huge plus one pass and two pass.for road side banners.and not up close media. 500 plus sqft per hour.one roll of 150 ft banner by 54 inches will print in 33 minutes. 60 percent coverage. 4 pass will print in around one hour 20 minutes. Also less ink usage at four colors. Prints like a c m y k lc lm.

Over spray problem solved buy using highest head height. Always use edge guards. Auto clean every four hours of printing time. Auto clean every morning. Full clean twice a week. Buy extended warranty. U must use clean method provided by Epson.

Would I buy one personally? Yes. My budget do sent allow it. So I use a mimaki and a encad. Plus no dealer near me.

EternalAudio

Excellent machine. Ran one for a company part time for a year. Easy to run load. Clean. Dummy proof. Good all rounder for small to medium shop.banners great. Vynil for every day use great. Fabric good. Heated excellent. Dryer awesome, really awesome. Only draw back is hi resolution like 8 to 12 pass slow. Don't like printing wraps. Slow. 4 pass will do average any thing. Never use flexi with this machine. Onyx is good.just as good as flexi . More adobe compatibility. Easy to use contour cut. Better in some ways rip engine.better through output. Depending on artwork longer rip time on 300 ppi files. Quality now as good as previous replacement gs6000. Prints a simulated grainy look if examined close.no wave technology. Huge draw back.huge plus one pass and two pass.for road side banners.and not up close media. 500 plus sqft per hour.one roll of 150 ft banner by 54 inches will print in 33 minutes. 60 percent coverage. 4 pass will print in around one hour 20 minutes. Also less ink usage at four colors. Prints like a c m y k lc lm.

Over spray problem solved buy using highest head height. Always use edge guards. Auto clean every four hours of printing time. Auto clean every morning. Full clean twice a week. Buy extended warranty. U must use clean method provided by Epson.

Would I buy one personally? Yes. My budget do sent allow it. So I use a mimaki and a encad. Plus no dealer near me.

Thank you for the great information. Very helpful!

fozzie

Have had one since dec 2013. Bottom line, would recommend it.

Get the heavy duty takeup option. Also, even with big heater we still use digidry heaters, especially running high speed.

Epson has had some issues with inks and printheads, first black and recently cyan, but they fix them on their dime.

Great quality, good performance at a value price.

Robert M

Epson & Roland

I have run an Epson S30670, with Roland Versa Works rip software

Doug , how were you able to do that?

DougWestwood

Epson / VersaWorks

I have run an Epson S30670, with Roland Versa Works rip software

Doug , how were you able to do that?

It was set up like that when I got there. No idea how it was done, or if it cannot be done elsewhere.
When you buy your printer, ask your dealer.