• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

...thinking about jumping in

Ponto

Somewhere I noticed a signature that stated "Profits are better than wages". I've often pondered this and have payed attention to and witnessed a lot during my 25 or so years employed in the "business". Are there any absolutes that an individual considers when they are prompted to select profits over wages... is it the "entrepreneurial spirit" that takes hold and prompts one to become a business owner... a natural progression of employment or simply brass balls...

JP

Pat Whatley

That's Dan Striker's tag line. I don't know what his views are behind it but I've got it stuck to the wall in the office. If you think about it that comment can direct just about anything you do in this business.

binki

For me it was a dislike of politics. I fired my company 15 years ago and never looked back. The only real difference is at 5pm, 2am, weekends, holidays, I am still thinking about my work instead of going home and forgetting about it. I do watch a lot less TV though!

trakers

For me it was a dislike of politics. I fired my company 15 years ago and never looked back. The only real difference is at 5pm, 2am, weekends, holidays, I am still thinking about my work instead of going home and forgetting about it. I do watch a lot less TV though!

Very well put. When I started my first business one of the primary reasons was I was sick and tired of watching facemen with good hair taking home twice what I did when I was doing all the work.

Ponto

...interesting comment... are you referring to the sales vs production aspect...???

JP

slappy

That's Dan Striker's tag line. I don't know what his views are behind it but I've got it stuck to the wall in the office. If you think about it that comment can direct just about anything you do in this business.

wages will make you a living, profits can make you a fortune. it's from a business book. Can't remember it who wrote it, but i remember reading some of it.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
In my case it was a desire to deliver better value and make more income. What I had experienced before jumping in was that the sign companies that were delivering customer value only offered substandard wages to new employees. Companies that offered decent wages were delivering substandard work to their customers.

TheSnowman

For me it was just wanting to control my own life. We haven't grown to the point yet that we're dealing w/ having to live @ the office. I just go for an 8 hour day, then come home. During the holidays we'll take longer breaks, and do whatever we want, long as we're keeping the bills paid up. It's just my wife and I, and the secretary, but as long as someone is there in case someone shows up and needs something, that's how we operate.

We will never be unemployed. That's one good thing about it. If you are ever too slow, and feeling the weight of the payments, you can always go out and find more work. If you have a full time job somewhere else, and need more money, what can you do? You have to do it when that person allows you to after work, or on weekends or something.

QuickSignsSA

I've been an entrepreneur since I was 12, I am now 26, and I still have no reason for turning back... Maybe since I had 46 jobs in my lifetime, and most anyone does not have that many in a LIFETIME!

Checkers

There are many risks and rewards of running your own business. In theory, the higher the risk, the better the reward.
For me, I had several things fall into place at the right time. So, the reward outweighed the risk. However, if you're going to jump in, you better have a good plan.
Do a search here using the term "starting business" and you'll find a lot to read.

Checkers