• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

thinking of buying used Mimaki JV 3

Tagdog

$2500, Black head gone. One owner low miles. I have a summa now and know very little about this printers.

MikePro

keep in mind that a printhead will cost ya about $1500, installed. Just under $1k if you know how to install urself.

artbot

i'd do it. i just ordered a head from solventinkonline for $835. you might be able to get the price down to $2k? or have the current owner do the head install himself so take out the risk of you doing it and it not going well.

as for the general price. you can make some money at that price point with the printer. if you have the current demand to really be printing, the credit, and can afford the payment. invest in a latex printer and you business will thank you in the long run. a jv3, although a great printer has been eclipsed by the jv33 (way better) and then that jv33 eclipsed by the hp latex. so you are three generations behind. plus the heads are super expensive. replacing all four heads cost $3400! a single dx5 in a newer machine will run you $900 and you get 100% new jets all the way across. a real bargain for having a trouble free printer.

mustafade

invest in a latex printer and you business will thank you in the long run..
I would suggest that you do your home work about latex printer before you invest in to it. Go to Epson's web site and read the comparison between a solvent printers and latex printer.

HulkSmash

I would suggest that you do your home work about latex printer before you invest in to it. Go to Epson's web site and read the comparison between a solvent printers and latex printer.

If i was to trust anyone with info on machines it'd be artbot.

artbot

well, i had the chance to see one installed. the output is way smooth. no banding at all. you can stare at it until you get a migraine. all kinds of media.... funny thing, it bounces around. does the shimmy as it prints. no smell, cheap inks, bone dry an inch out of the machine (think of rolling up a print for a customer after being printed. tell them, go get a taco and it will be ready when you return) many more media options. and they are pretty cheap considering. trust me, i don't like HP. why? because i'm a printer bigot! i have no reason at all other than i don't think they make a sexy printer.
but a new printer buyer would be nuts not to seek out an installed HP latex and just try to leave feeling like it's not got epson tech beat.

mustafade

Attached is the comparisons sheet between the printers, pros and cons. Although, last update on this document is 1/19/2010 may be some of the elements has reversed already, like media selection.
And, I am sure HP has some comparisons sheet similar to this as well. Just a food for thought.

artbot

i don't know. that pdf is full of exaggerations.

"change the face of fine art". is it epson yellow solvent ink that fades quicker than it should. the only face that will change is the color of prints of faces.

media compatibility? hp beats it on back lit. almost matches dyes sub on fabric.

and it's amercian.

let's face it. epson is getting it's ass handed to it by canon's ipf line. now hp has this ugly magic printer? so they go to mutoh and rebrand that company's machines. japanese marketing is famous for straight up lying. so is the government.

mustafade

People like I who are new in to the solvent wide format/sign business the information like on Epson's pdf is invaluable because when you look into investing on a new technology you want to know, I like to know, consumables, available media selection vs what is already out there and it is proven and widely available and if you can sell it everyday as easily as the other cutting edge technology, and which one it will pay it self faster, another means ROI.

It is a different senerio for an artist such as yourself beacuse you are not selling a printed material you are selling your talent attached to it is your use of the technology/knowledge.

By the way, I have seen your work and is to be commented, you are very talented, actually beyond talented, the coordination of the placements is an another talent if you ask me.

Any who, your place in the market place is different then I or print for pay seller like many of us in this forum.
Your look and approach to technology is some what different then us.

This is my take on the newer technology based on what I read.
I may have change my view if I was to hear or read more from end user who are in the print for pay industry.

As a matter a fact, I love to.

I mean no disrespect by this reply. I believe, simply, there isn't enough info out there yet.