• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

thinking of going to pay pal - thoughts please

signguy 55

Any advice (pros or cons) as to using PayPal for my business? I don't have the volume to justify using a regular credit card merchant and the fees are killing me, but I still have some accounts that prefer paying with a credit card.

I have a friend who has a small web based business and she loves PayPal, said she has never had a problem with it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

iceracer

I have a friend who has a small web based business and she loves PayPal, said she has never had a problem with it.

I use it to pay and think it is great. To date, no issues and it is so easy to set up and use.

WildWestDesigns

I haven't had any issue with it.

Those that want to pay by credit card can.

Those that don't want a PayPal account can still go thru paypal and pay without having to set up a new account.

In general, I haven't had any issue with it. I've had a couple of times were a transaction hit a hiccup, but it was quickly resolved and everything was good to go.

I'm sure anyone can figure a way to screw the system, but I haven't had that problem yet *knock on wood*

toomeycustoms

Well in order to take credit cards over the phone or via a virtual terminal, you need Paypal Pro which has a monthly fee of $30. If you are just going to send your customers invoices through paypal, you can use the standard Paypal. The virtual terminal is a pain as you have to input all of the address info and customer info. Also, when I upgraded to Paypal Pro they kept 30% of my sales for 90 days as a "security measure" with no limit as to how much they keep. I canceled the pro version and just have the standard version now and it works for me.

J

john1

Any advice (pros or cons) as to using PayPal for my business? I don't have the volume to justify using a regular credit card merchant and the fees are killing me, but I still have some accounts that prefer paying with a credit card.

I use Paypal as well as Square credit card reader. Both work flawless.

I would get Square for CC's because there really isn't a cheaper way to do processing of CC and it works great.

For pay pal you can see how much the fees on each transaction will be with this link http://thefeecalculator.com/

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
For pay pal you can see how much the fees on each transaction will be with this link http://thefeecalculator.com/

dude, that is awesome. +1 to that if you want to do paypal. Normally I just throw in 10% if they want to use paypal to pay me. But I do love Square for on the go processing ... but through e-mail paypal is great, they can pay with their bank account, check, credit cards, etc.) takes 2 days for them to dump the money into your bank account ... but that is fine ... standard electronic transfering time.

Locals Find!

I use paypal regularly and have since I opened for billing clients. The invoice feature they have added is great. You can keep track of everything also you can get a paypal debit card for your business for paying suppliers.

I even get free checking thanks to paypal at Bank of America because paypal transfers count as direct deposits. I even use paypal to pay myself by just transferring the money into my personal paypal account and then using the debit card on that account for things I need.

Only downside I have experienced is if you get cash out of a Chase Bank ATM the paypal card issuer. You pay a $1.00 fee that isn't disclosed to you.

we've used paypal for years and haven't had that many issues with it. be warned though......if someone pays via paypal and they dispute the payment for any reason, 99 percent of the time paypal will go in their favour. it doesn't happen alot, but it has and can happen.

royster13

I have probably ran 500,000.00 through PayPal (Visa/MasterCard) in the last 10 years......Never had a problem but then I have only ever had 1 disputed transaction that was caused by a shipping delay from a supplier.....I just refunded the order....I am in the 2nd tier (Canadian) for fees.... 2.5% + 0.30.....

Kevin-shopVOX

Personally I like PayPal. Works great and haven't had any issues with it at all. I especially like the mobile app that lets you request money from your phone.

heyskull

The only problem I have found with paypal is if you have an issue with a customer they will take the side of the customer and refund them even though they say they are helping you!!
We had one recently that said the item didn't arrive and paypal refunded them and it arrived the following day.
It has taken me weeks to get them to pay the bill!!!!

SC

westpointsigns

If being used on website purchases I'd think that PayPal is the easiest to work with.

I use SQUARE for purchases in the shop. It's linked up to my bank account and the free card reader plugs into my DROID X, but it will work on any smart phone. Good rates and easy to use.

https://squareup.com/

8DC

I highly recommend Paypal.

Also get the business debit card from them and use it for everything. The monthly cash-back bonus will pay for a good chunk of your Paypal fees.

Mike F

If being used on website purchases I'd think that PayPal is the easiest to work with.

I use SQUARE for purchases in the shop. It's linked up to my bank account and the free card reader plugs into my DROID X, but it will work on any smart phone. Good rates and easy to use.

https://squareup.com/

I remember hearing about this a few years back, looks like they're doing pretty good. How do you like them?