• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thinking of moving into an industrial space.

appstro

As the title reads, I am thinking of getting into an industrial space. I am in San Diego, California. Can anyone who has done this tell me what to expect? What do I have to consider when moving into a shop? What's insurance like? Do you have any city, fire marshall, or EPA issues? Do you think your business improved after moving into a commercial building? Any hidden fee's or costs I may not be aware of? Any suggestions on the type of unit to rent?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Give us a brief idea of your business model so we have a bit of an idea where you're coming from...and where you're headed.

JB

appstro

As the title reads, I am thinking of getting into an industrial space. I am in San Diego, California. Can anyone who has done this tell me what to expect? What do I have to consider when moving into a shop? What's insurance like? Do you have any city, fire marshall, or EPA issues? Do you think your business improved after moving into a commercial building? Any hidden fee's or costs I may not be aware of? Any suggestions on the type of unit to rent?

Well I am mostly a vinyl guy, but last year in October I got my contractors lic, and a home occupation permit (business lic) and a sellers certificate so I started doing bigger stuff and now I need more space. I also do vacuum forming and screen printing. So I want a sign shop that would have a office/ showroom up front, clean room for printers and assembly, and a back area with a roll up door for doing graphics installs and cutting wood, screen printing and vacuum forming, etc.

I don't really care about having a retail presence so industrial is what I am looking for I think. Plus needing to do work in the shop would cancel out retail spaces i think.

I really just need space and have outgrown my garage to the point that I have a shed and a costco carport out in the back yard on top of a cramped garage with a small walkway to get around.

I would like a shop that I can grow into and that will give my business more legitimacy. Some customers just drive up and see the garage and then drive off. So that has lost a small amount of business.

I am just wondering what I can expect with a shop. What should i look out for? Did you get a big surprise once you moved into your shop? Anything unexpected? Any types of places I should not rent?

Anything regarding the sign business that I need to know?

Billct2

Make sure that the zone permits the type of work you do, probably not an issue if you are going into industrial space, but best to check.
If you want to do vehicles get a place with the biggest rollup door you can and plenty of space inside to get around the vehicle.
It's nice to have a hose by the back door to rinse off vehicles.
Check to see if the electric service is big enough for what you will have.
Good luck.