• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

thinking of purchasing a mutoh rockhopper 38

ncpdfsb

have a interest in a fairly decent low hours mutoh rockhopper/ falcon outdoor junior 38" eco-sol printer..
kinda stumped need some input, you think its worth getting considering lack of icc profiled media?

wcso35

I have one and love it. I have seen a large increase in business since we purchased it. You can do so much.
just my 2 cents

ncpdfsb

you have no problem finding profiles and/or media for decent color output?? what do you use your for?

R08

I got the 46" outdoor last year (excellent price at the time. 6k for that and the Ultima contour cutter.
I think the 38" is similar.
It's a great machine for smaller markets IMO.
One thing though.. They take a fair amount of maintenance.
There is a learning curve to it.

What kind of price are you looking at?

Capital Signs

may not be worth the hit, maybe spend a couple more thousand and get a 48-54 inch plotter, which will allow you much more possibilities for jobs that dont have to be tiled (4x8)

R08

$4800 with no rip.. may have to learn how to build my own icc profiles..

You do realize that you will need a rip regardless right.
Most of the rips come with generic profiles that are pretty good to use right away and then you can tweak them. But you would have to buy a rip software so that would set you back a bit.
(mine came with photoprint 4.0 ... older software but works for me)

Jackpine

They are good printers for the money. I have seen them for as little as $2k but needed to be rebuilt, heads, cap station, pump and dampers. Parts for that are $750 + labor. If the printers is in good working condition the price may be OK. You will need a RIP. There are many out there and will cost $2k or better. Vinyl Master Pro has a Future RIP that is reasonable. I have not used it but it is cheap. I would also look into Ciberprint. I got mine with my printer and it has done everything I have needed. It has an ICC profile program with it also. You can download a demo at wwwcibercat.com or www.cibersupply.com. Flexi Pro is an option also. Good luck.

ncpdfsb

thank for the input folks! :notworthy:
keep it coming.. i own a copy of LXi8 signwarehouse version of FLEXI 8... may work.. just dont see the profile for this machine in production manager..anybody know how to add a printer profile to LXi8?

ncpdfsb

i would...cant afford that rite now. it is a good deal, seen the signwarhouse special. maybe i need to give them a call. see how much financing is? btw still need the sp300/ vp300
service manual macdaddy (mr.hill) thank you:notworthy:

Get a VJ-1204, you will be much happier.... 10K with Flexi 8.5 v2 I think.......

MacDaddy

Dude, Ya get what Ya pay for... I repair these machines... I'd spend the extra $$$ and get a quality machine... You will make more $$$ in the long run... Do what you want as this is just the humble opinion of a tech who repairs these machines on a daily basis... I would be more than happy to come take your money on a service call but would rather you get a machine you can count on... I have enough to do as it is, lots of these machines out there that need my attention......... Have a great day..........

MacDaddy

I understand... Maintenance Staion for a Junior is 232.00, usually last about 12-18 months... Maintenance Station for a VJ is 219.00, while these printers are less than 2 years old I have yet to replace a MS on one of these machines... While to replace the heads on a Junior will cost around 600.00 for both heads for a VJ is about 900.00, I have replaced a few of these but Mutoh has always picked up the tab... The VJ is very forgiving in terms of clogged nozzles and such, plus you gain much needed speed, around 3.5 times faster. While the print speeds Mutoh claims are very fast the reality is usually around 70-75 SQ Ft per hour when printing in a accepatable print mode... Thats still around 3.5-4.0 times faster than an FO printer... Don't get me wrong, I like the FO-Junior, and if I were to purchase an outdoor printer it would be the one rather than a FO-46/62.......... I think you will find over the next 12 months parts will become much harder to obtain and will increase in price... Anyhow, that's just my two cents worth... You guys enjoy the weekend........