Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinkung of buying a Corel Product, but not sure which...

Discussion in 'Corel' started by 68dodgeramman, May 11, 2010.

1. 68dodgeramman

68dodgeramman Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Larry
    I bought the Intuos 4 tablet not long ago. They included Corel Painter Sketch Pad with it. I really like it. But I'd like to get software that will allow me to save or export drawings as a vector to use in Lxi8. First of all, are there any programs that even do this. I hear alot about Corel and PhotoShop. So I'm just curious about the two and what specific suite or version, I should get. Thanks for any input, and I'm sorry about being so vague it's just that I don't have any experience with either. Thanks again.

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    the corel suites come with coreldraw (vector) and corelpaint (raster) as well as some other goodies - newest is X5, so you can prob find a good deal on X3/X4 somewhere...

3. Jim Hill

Jim Hill Active Member

Coreldraw products.

Not sure right now if I would purchase X-5 until they get some bugs fixed.

Some people seem to have no problems but others are reporting that their needs to be some tweaking done.

X-4 seems fine along with X-3

Jim

4. Rodi

Rodi Very Active Member

Aug 3, 2007
  5. 68dodgeramman

68dodgeramman Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Larry
    Thanks, for the replies everybody. I just ordered CorelDraw x4! Now I can't wait till it gets here to start working with it.

6. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Dodgeramman look for some of the tutorial links I have posted for when you get this. One addition I would highly recommend is advanced artist training tutorials well worth the money!

7. WhiskeyDreamer

WhiskeyDreamer Professional Snow Ninja

Aug 6, 2007
    Riften
  8. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    I upgraded from X3 to X5 and it does have a few bugs. Once they fix them it will be just about perfect.

9. Jim Doggett

Jim Doggett Very Active Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Hi Ram man,

The complete Corel Graphics Suite (Draw, Paint, etc.) is the way to go. Anything X3 or above is fine ... buy an earlier version to save some bux, be more stable and work better on XP, Vista ... albeit your LXi 8 works on Win7, so no prob if you're on the newest Win platform.

But I'd also look into Photoshop for bitmaps. It's light years beyond Corel Photo Paint, IMO. And there too, buying an older version online or from Craigslist.com (etc.) is cheap .. and with the money you save go dual monitor (work on one monitor / have every tool on the other monitor)

Also, since you're a SignWarehouse customer, I'd advise checking out www.signwarehouse.com/forums since we have discussion there on using CorelDRAW, and our techs and I jump in with tips / help.

My $0.02,

Jim

10. jiarby

jiarby Major Contributor

Feb 11, 2007
    X5 is a dog! A seriously bad dog that pees all over your carpet, chews up your slippers and rapes your cat.

Use X4 until they fix it (hopefully with SP1)

11. cantgetright

cantgetright New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Hello to all I'm new to all of this so if my question sounds stupid please forgive me .So I have been reading these forums for about 2 hours and all I find is information on Corel and photoshop so my question is ,is Gimp also compatible with the LXI 8.6 for I have just bought a 31" Vinyl express cutter from signwarehouse also what kind of format can u also use for the vinyl expresscutter cant u just copy a picture and paste say a smiley face from the internet and cut it ?

12. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    nope

13. signmeup

signmeup Major Contributor

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    No. You can't cut a bitmap. You need a vector based file to cut.

14. Alphonse43

Alphonse43 Member

May 8, 2008
    Tom Knight has some great CorelDRAW tutorials for X3 & X4 I just purchase a couple last month it was the price that won me over I wasn't looking anything just came across his site
    http://www.advancedartist.com/links.html
    (I have no connection with either Tom Knight or Advanced Artist, just a customer)
    Alphonse43

15. fmg

fmg Very Active Member

Dec 14, 2009