• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Third Party Aftermarket Inks for Mimaki JFX / LUS-150

dmoore

Premium Subscriber
We've been purchasing LUS-150 link from STS Inks (www.stsinks.com) but they tend to be slow and customer service is spotty. Does anyone have other recommendations for vendors of non-band name Mimaki LUS-150 inks?

Thanks

Joe House

You can have a sign fast, you can get a sign cheap, you can get a good sign. You can't get a good, cheap sign fast. Sounds like you're up against an immutable law.
What is it you don't like about the Mimaki OEM ink? - just curious.

dmoore

Premium Subscriber
We are printing at 300 dpi, solid color on a 4 x 8 sheet of plastic. The use case is purely residential and not critical. We’re not printing any nice commercial signs here.

We are going through 2 L of ink per day, $115 versus $225 starts to really add up for no improvement in outcome.

How is it that eBay and Amazon are filled with ink, knock, offs, and the professional market, where there’s a lot more money is underserved? Mimaki is not making their own ink, Akzonobel is. This is chemistry, not brain surgery.

I’m always amazed at how certain markets are not well served. All the money is in the niche of a niche of a niche markets and I don’t know how much nicher this gets.

So with all that, I’m guessing you w”are sourcing your inks from Mimaki?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The LUS-150 in particular is a more rare ink these days. All of the original JFX200s were inked with the LUS-150 ink but shortly after release, they came out with the LUS-170s and now most JFX200s use the 170s or the LH-100 for hard applications. So I assume the 3rd parties just don't see a market in it. Bordeaux has an LUS-170 alternative available.

Also, about 20 years ago, 3rd party inks were untrustworthy. A lot of people had their machines trashed and it turned them off 3rd parties for life. This industry in particular is very skeptical of 3rd parties. It's gotten better over the years but all the old timers still remember.

brdesign

The LUS-150 in particular is a more rare ink these days. All of the original JFX200s were inked with the LUS-150 ink but shortly after release, they came out with the LUS-170s and now most JFX200s use the 170s or the LH-100 for hard applications. So I assume the 3rd parties just don't see a market in it. Bordeaux has an LUS-170 alternative available.

Also, about 20 years ago, 3rd party inks were untrustworthy. A lot of people had their machines trashed and it turned them off 3rd parties for life. This industry in particular is very skeptical of 3rd parties. It's gotten better over the years but all the old timers still remember.
Years ago I had a bad experience using aftermarket inks in a Mimaki and never wanted to take a chance on them again. Last year I bought a refurbished Mimaki that came with Marabu ss21 inks and they have been working great.

Joe House

We are printing at 300 dpi, solid color on a 4 x 8 sheet of plastic. The use case is purely residential and not critical. We’re not printing any nice commercial signs here.

We are going through 2 L of ink per day, $115 versus $225 starts to really add up for no improvement in outcome.

How is it that eBay and Amazon are filled with ink, knock, offs, and the professional market, where there’s a lot more money is underserved? Mimaki is not making their own ink, Akzonobel is. This is chemistry, not brain surgery.

I’m always amazed at how certain markets are not well served. All the money is in the niche of a niche of a niche markets and I don’t know how much nicher this gets.

So with all that, I’m guessing you w”are sourcing your inks from Mimaki?
I was just curious as to your reasoning. Price of inks is often a factor, but I've seen other factors as well. Yes, we're a Mimaki dealer, but your outside our normal territory, so I really wasn't expecting to make a sale here.
I find it interesting that you're looking to save the money, and want fast service, and, I'm sure, want a quality product. (No one wants to trash a print head - right?) My first response was based off of a sign in a customer's shop years ago. The principle can be applied to most businesses. And yes, it is amazing that someone's not pursuing this niche market.

It's gotten better over the years but all the old timers still remember
Old timer, huh? :confused:
;)

caribmike

Retired with a Side Hustle
I've used aftermarket inks in my Mimaki almost since the day I got it. I've stuck with mostly STS or Bordeaux and have never had a issue or had to replace the head. I find STS to be fast and responsive, but, I'm using everyday solvent inks.