• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion This happened yesterday...................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Had some company over and the wife is an artist. She's kinda famous in the animal world for her ability to draw all kindsa animals, like peoples' pets horses and so forth. Anyway, she was telling us that she had this painting which another artist made about 100 years ago. She coped it and signed it painting 'such & such by so and so redone by and she signed her artistic name. She said that by giving the original artist credit, she was still allowed to sell it as her own with his name being mentioned first.

Any ideas on this one ?? I've never really heard of that approach before. She said she's done it many times..... and for people from around the world, too. Seems a little too close for m tastes.

:design:

SignosaurusRex

Had some company over and the wife is an artist. She's kinda famous in the animal world for her ability to draw all kindsa animals, like peoples' pets horses and so forth. Anyway, she was telling us that she had this painting which another artist made about 100 years ago. She coped it and signed it painting 'such & such by so and so redone by and she signed her artistic name. She said that by giving the original artist credit, she was still allowed to sell it as her own with his name being mentioned first.

Any ideas on this one ?? I've never really heard of that approach before. She said she's done it many times..... and for people from around the world, too. Seems a little too close for m tastes.

:design:

Gino, It sounds ethical to me. I vaguely remember the subject being covered in a chapter on "Ethics" in a book that I believe is "Artist's Handbook of Materials and Techniques" or "Artist's Guide to Ethics and Pricing". Proper credit must always be noted! Works that are Copyrighted or Trademarked are a whole other story.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I'm usually critical of things like that, but I'd like to introduce my best seller.

JB
440px-Leonardo_da_Vinci_043-mod.jpg

Last edited:

Johnny Best

Your also allowed to go into a museum (with their permission) and "copy" a painting. It just cannot be the exact same size. I have seen people with their oil paints set up and painting on their canvas a painting on display.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Nothing wrong with it. Someone copying an original doesn't diminish the value of the original. If anything, it would increase the value. I think even copywritten stuff has an out for non-commercial fan use?

Lotta

Your also allowed to go into a museum (with their permission) and "copy" a painting. It just cannot be the exact same size. I have seen people with their oil paints set up and painting on their canvas a painting on display.

It has to be 10% off the size and you are not allowed to copy the signature of the artist. You can sign it yourself or leave it off totally.
But from that you can copy it one to one.

Ahh forgot, the painter has to be dead more then 70 Years. because of the copyright

Last edited:

Jeremiah

Really ? Tell Harley Davidson... copy their logo and see what happens. If they catch you. Copy a few notes to someone's music and see what happens . Argue and you will be before a Judge.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I guess then, I could be printing money, as long as I put the Treasure's signature on the bills ?? Hmmmmm...........

jochwat

Graphics Department
Not sure if music and painting would be considered on common ground in the art world, but here's my 2 cents...

My rockin' geriatric combo released a CD waaaaayyy back in 1999. It was supposed to include our cover of the Motorhead classic, "Ace of Spades". To legally include it involved filing some paperwork with BMI, the music publisher / rights holder. We'd also pay royalties for each copy of the CD sold. The CD was releasing before the paperwork would be done so it was just left off and distributed later (that's how you get those "lost tracks").

So yes, we could take another person's "art" and publish it, giving credit to the original songwriters, and, here's the important part: PAYING ROYALTIES. Perhaps with an older song that's in the public domain, it's fair game for anyone. But I can't see copying a newer piece of art, with the creator still living, putting their name and my name on it, and then selling it to reap 100% of the profits, as being kosher.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Commercial vs personal use. You can paint harley davidson on the wall in your garage, you can't do it for hire for someone else.

spectrum maine

Gino, It sounds ethical to me. I vaguely remember the subject being covered in a chapter on "Ethics" in a book that I believe is "Artist's Handbook of Materials and Techniques" or "Artist's Guide to Ethics and Pricing". Proper credit must always be noted! Works that are Copyrighted or Trademarked are a whole other story.

I am pretty sure 100 year old art/print is free from copyright

Lotta

Really ? Tell Harley Davidson... copy their logo and see what happens. If they catch you. Copy a few notes to someone's music and see what happens . Argue and you will be before a Judge.

Don´t mix up copyright ans registered trademark. Harley Davidson is a registered trademark with the number 3671993. But I cannot find Picasso or Claude Monet holding trademark numbers.

And for the Musik ... In modern US copyright law, for works made by individuals (not works made by corporations), works are protected for the author’s entire life plus 70 years.