• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

This is a crazy way to make a living!

signage

I have worker on 650VDC 2,000A live! Only thing I don't like with that is the helicopter and the wind/weather and relying on the pilot.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I have worker on 650VDC 2,000A live! Only thing I don't like with that is the helicopter and the wind/weather and relying on the pilot.

I=E/R

Having 2Kamps available does not mean that you'll be drawing 2Kamps should you fetch up into the wires.

Typical resistance of a human body is somewhere around 20Kohms to 50Kohms. If you threw yourself onto a conductor carrying 650V you'd draw about 32mA or so. Probably kill you, certainly render you unconscious, but no blinding and no doubt entertaining pyrotechnic display.

skyhigh

I=E/R

Probably kill you

Dead is dead.....dosen't matter how much current it took to do the job. :Big Laugh

I would think there would be more stress on the pilot myself. I'd much rather be the guy working on the line.

signage

Bob can you tell me why I can touch both the positive and negative terminals on my truck battery rated at 1010AH and not die, but if when I was working on these live conductors and would have came in contact with ground would have been toast (dead)?

If what you are saying about the bodies resistance was true then placing my right hand on the negative terminal and my left on the positive terminal one should be unconscious.

Also if you would have seen the arcs/flashes from them finding ground I think you would not say not blinding.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Bob can you tell me why I can touch both the positive and negative terminals on my truck battery rated at 1010AH and not die, but if when I was working on these live conductors and would have came in contact with ground would have been toast (dead)?

If what you are saying about the bodies resistance was true then placing my right hand on the negative terminal and my left on the positive terminal one should be unconscious.

Also if you would have seen the arcs/flashes from them finding ground I think you would not say not blinding.

I=E/R where I=current drawn in amperes, E is EMF in volts, and R is resistance in ohms. On a 12V battery I=12volts/20,000ohms or .0006 amps, which isn't even a tickle.

Basic arithmetic.

ThinkRight

Yesterday I was working on a 4160 Volt 1400 ton chiller.
The reason I was working on it.....
The starter shorted and blew up.
It is not hard work, just no room for error.
There is no second chances.

elsignshop

I use to work for a electric company down in St Augustine, Fl a couple years back before i open my sign shop. we use to have to fix them electric lines that ran from brunswick, ga thru Jacksonville, fl down the whole I-95 highway. a lot of the work we done was fixing all the huge towers and main electric lines when that a hurricane hit floridas east coast. paid really good tho. i bought my first house at the age of 19 and paid it off in the first 3 years with that job.

Locals Find!

The guy fixing the line could be replaced by a trained chimp. The pilot however, is the one with real skills. That requires some serious precision flying.

Farmboy

I'd like to see Mike Rowe be the guy repairing the wire on an episode of Dirty Jobs. The dirty part would be Mike crappin his pants. Apart from the high risk of being killed from a slight breeze, it looks like a cool job. You're not going to get a view like that from behind a desk.

SlightlyChilled

The guy fixing the line could be replaced by a trained chimp. The pilot however, is the one with real skills. That requires some serious precision flying.

And any dumb a$$ can be a sign broker/sign maker/real estate agent/ What ever you call your self right.

Lets see you get your butt 35 feet or higher. I bet you would crap your shorts.

this is only 30foot free climb and people dropped out. Hands and gaffs no belt till you get to the top then belt off.

Attachments

• Gaffen.jpg
    Gaffen.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 92

Locals Find!

And any dumb a$$ can be a sign broker/sign maker/real estate agent/ What ever you call your self right.

Lets see you get your butt 35 feet or higher. I bet you would crap your shorts.

this is only 30foot free climb and people dropped out. Hands and gaffs no belt till you get to the top then belt off.

Not being afraid of heights isn't really a trained skill. Some are just better than others at that. You really could train a chimp to do that.

The point I was making is that the pilot must have ice water running through his veins. He has to fly the helicopter damn close to those lines so the other guy can work. That isn't something you can just go out and do. That takes years of practice and skill.

Locals Find!

And a chimp can be a sign broker. all they do is throw a crap at a wall to see what sticks

So you admit your a Chimp then?? Every time you post your just throwing more BS out there hoping it sticks. I wonder why??

As for my being a Broker, what are you Jealous that I found a way to compete without the overhead ??

I am sorry that my business model scares you so much. Must suck to have all that overhead and expensive equipment and make the same money a broker makes. To only realize the Broker put more in his pocket at the end of the year than you did.

SlightlyChilled

I think you type to see you'r self type. As for what you do I really don't care. I will go eat a bannana with my Heli. I'm just happy you are not calling your self a sign maker. You did just make my day.