• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

This Old Roland (LEJ-640FT) - Service Call 0212

Lucid

I got a "Service Call 0212" error message, and after reading the manual, I got nervous. Here are the possible causes listed for this error:

Error.jpg

I got a quote for a set of new UV lamps for about $8K. Fortunately I don't think that will be necessary. I did some testing and from what I found, I think the cause is "Defect of UV Lamp Sensor". This is an optical limit switch sensor and it was very dirty. I tried cleaning it but it's still not working. I could probably continue cleaning it and might be able to get it to work, but honestly I really want a new one.

Here is where the sensor is located.

Head Assembly.JPG

I did not actually test the sensor because I don't currently have the right resistors and power supply required to test the sensor output. So I wanted to observe the machine behavior. I took I took the cover off (so I could watch the carriage) and removed the sensor plate that was screwed onto it so that I could put the plate back on the cover senor to "trick" the machine into thinking the cover was closed.

IMG-5536.JPG

Then I turned the machine on and entered service mode. Since I assumed the senor is malfunction or dirty, the machine would think the lamp was in the forward position, so that's where I started it. From the "UV Lamp Menu" I ran a "Lamp On Check". The lamp then moved back slightly then the machine errored out (Service Call 0212). I left the lamp in the position it stopped at and removed the whole assembly from he carriage.

IMG-5538.JPG

I noticed that the lamp only moved just enough for the "sensor plate" (the plate the trips the photo sensor switch) moved out of the sensor. This seems to me like the motor (servo) knew how far it had moved and that the sensor should have detected the plate had moved. However, since the sensor is malfunctioning or dirty (my assumption) it did not detect any change, so the machine errored out.

IMG-5540.jpg

I might try to clean this sensor up a bit more, but like I said, I'd prefer to just get a new one.

I'm going to do some digging around the internet to see if I can find one, but if anyone knows of a good source, please share.

Lucid

Update:

I cleaned the sensor using IPA, cotton swabs, and lots of elbow grease to clean the optical sensor. After plugging everything back in, what do you know, it worked! No more "Service Call 0212" error.

Now, I still think the sensor is a little old and could be replaced. I contacted Roland and got the part number: 1000011069
Since I wanted to have a spare, I ordered one from here: https://us.digiprint-supplies.com/en/vg-640-sensor-interrupter-oj-5305-a5-1000011069
This is my first purchase from Digiprint, so we'll see how it goes. They are headquartered somewhere in Europe, but have a warehouse in Texas where this part shipped from.

I wish I could say I'm up in running now, but I guess I'm playing Whac-A-Mole with Service Call Errors. I've got another one I'll be posting about soon.