• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

this seems odd to me

ontsigngirl

While discussing market research with my business counsellor I expressed concern about informing people of what I can offer them when I don't actually have (and have never run) the equipment I need to produce the work. Her statement to me was "maybe you can talk to another sign guy and rent his equipment from him at night" Does this sound like a logical statement to you?

What are the chances of someone having the same equipment I'm going to buy and be willing to train me on said equipment and let their potential competition have free run of their shop at night?

She said this so casually as if it was a photocopier and I was going just push a button and all these pretty things would magically appear.

How can someone be paid to give business advise when they know nothing about the business and refuse to listen when you try to explain.

Just had to vent - I'm sure this is only the beginning..........

I think you need a new business councellor!
Why do your customers need to know that you don't have the equipment anyway?
Let them think that you do.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
You need a business CONSULTANT, not a counsellor. You need someone who has worked in this industry, someone who knows the ins and outs, and who can guide you with experience.

I've tried the types of counsellors you're talking about, and while they mean well, they just don't have the experience.

If anything, the counsellor should have instructed you to outsource this type of work.

natedawg9640

yup. the only way that would be happening is with a very hefty rental charge. or possibly if you weren't from the same area and there would be no conflict of interest, and even then, the training would come at a price.

Rooster

That they would even suggest such a thing leads me to believe they have absolutely no business sense. Do not walk, run from this clown.

Letterbox Mike

You need a business CONSULTANT, not a counsellor. You need someone who has worked in this industry, someone who knows the ins and outs, and who can guide you with experience.

I've tried the types of counsellors you're talking about, and while they mean well, they just don't have the experience.

If anything, the counsellor should have instructed you to outsource this type of work.

I completely agree, you need an industry consultant who knows what they are talking about. I'm certain they meant well and that may be common practice in some industries but not this one.

What you can do is talk to whomever is producing your prints or whatever and sit down with them to really learn about the product and the production method. To be able to sell a product well, it's very helpful to have intimate knowledge of it and it's production.

We do this regularly with our clients, and they benefit from it immensely. When we enter into a new relationship with them, we invite them to spend a few hours here (typically on slow afternoons so they aren't overwhelmed and so they can't snoop too much at who we're doing work for, not that that's ever been an issue) to get an in-depth understanding of what they're selling. We've noticed, across the board, the people who have invested their time in this tend to sell a significant amount more than those who choose not to. If your supplier is willing (and in my opinion any good supplier should at least show you the basics), try to arrange such a meeting.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
A lot of sign people don't know enough to consult for the sign business so having a "business consultant" is probably not gonna give you good advice.

We have a marketing consultant for the industry on the site... Jon Aston. You can also ask away here and see what comes from it, I'm sure others will benefit too (if it stays on topic)

iSign

We have a marketing consultant for the industry on the site... Jon Aston.

I wanted to mention this also.
I have invested in his services for many years, with no regrets.

He also offers a free first consultation!

ontsigngirl

thanks guys -

some of the things this lady said were odd at best - I thought maybe I just wasn't understanding her "communication style" for lack of better word. I tried to convince her that the signs and graphics business entailed a lot of different services, talents, products etc but she seemed convinced I could pedal signs and graphics the same way I would pedal phones. It was not good. Unfortunately I am stuck with a counsellor for now (I will request a different one for sure) - it's a program run by the government that will pay me to learn the business as I go (if I get accepted) so at least for now I'll take advantage of the help they can give me and as per your advise talk to Jon along the way.

Marlene

I think you need a new business councellor!
Why do your customers need to know that you don't have the equipment anyway?
Let them think that you do.

ditto to contacting Jon Aston. he knows what he is doing and knows the sign biz