• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thoughts on a Mimaki CVJ30-130

ProColorGraphics

I am in the process of getting a 4 month old CJV30-130 printer/cutter. I was wondering on peoples thoughts of this machine? Do you like it, recommend it, ect... I did see the one review on the reviews page and was just looking for some more feed back. I am going to be using the SS21 ink set with a 6 color setup. My goal is to achieve high quality prints. What do you feel the print quality is like? I am more concerned with the quality of the print over the speed of the print.

Thank you for your input.

ProColorGraphics

With the CJV30-130, does anyone know if the maximum width is 51" or 53.5"? I says both on the Mimaki website. I am just trying to get things figured out before I purchase one.

Thanks

luggnut

a local guy here has one and it prints over 60" (63" i think) the print quality i saw was very good.

GB2

Old Member
Personally, I have no idea why they came out with this model. I couldn't even imagine having a printer and cutter combo in one machine. I am always, always printing and cutting at the same time and my productivity would be cut in half. Also, there is no place you want cleaner than your print head area in your printer and with all that cutting in the same place, it has got to contaminate the area with dust and cutting debris. I think you'd be much better off waiting for an opportunity to get seperate machines.

heyskull

Get a printer and a cutter it is not worth waiting for the machine to finish a print so you can cut something.

Look at it like a washer dryer against a washing machine and seperate dryer.
I guarantee the cut part of the machine will be needed just when you need to print something!
You will probably end up buying a separate plotter a few month down the line.

SC

The Equipment Guy

I sold a few of these, and yes the comments about productivity are correct and I agree for the most part. Where I see this machine as useful is for someone who already has a vinyl cutting department and is willing to spend the extra to have a cutter available with the printer.

I never had to send out a tech to service a CJV unit at all. They are very well built. The unit is essentially a JV33 with an added plotter. It parks the printhead when cutting so its kept wet and ready during the cut phase.

I do not think you will go wrong, but I would check on the possibility that it is still under warranty and that you can have it transferred as well, might be a bonus.

Beavis

Personally I prefer the Jv3-130 much better. Print and cut in one machine is really only good if your not going to over laminate. Over the year i have developed a system for getting the vinyl loaded back in the plotter just right but with the cjv3-100 you just can't move the cut head wherever you want. If you have the room for a printer and cutter you will be much happier.

ProColorGraphics

My room is a little tight, which is why I like the combo unit. I have had Versacamms and they have worked very well for me. I am actually trying to make it work to get a new GS6000 with a Graphtec plotter.

Rojo

If you have high print and/or cut volumes and the room necessary then a printer and cutter would be best. I don't so I bought the CJV30. Has worked pretty much flawlessly for a year now. I use the four color inks and produce beautiful prints. I use 2 or 3 stock profiles for all the substrates I use.

If you need to laminate just print with crop marks and cut it later.

ProColorGraphics

If you have high print and/or cut volumes and the room necessary then a printer and cutter would be best. I don't so I bought the CJV30. Has worked pretty much flawlessly for a year now. I use the four color inks and produce beautiful prints. I use 2 or 3 stock profiles for all the substrates I use.

If you need to laminate just print with crop marks and cut it later.

Thank you very much for the info. That is very good to hear that the prints are very good in the 4 color mode. That assures me that since I am going with the 6 color setup that they will be even better. Do you use the SS21 inks?

ColesCreations

We just traded our JV3 for a GS6000. And have a SummaT140 cutter. The cutter takes almost no room at all, our printer room is 10' x 15' and have the GS6000, the cutter, the Epson 10600 and an A3printer/copier, as well as a rip computer.

I guess it would be OK to have the combo, but would never trade the separate printer/cutter for a combo solution. It would suck not being able to cut while printing...

Rojo

Yes, the SS21 inks. Will the 6-color increase the cost of prints or will it use proportionally less of each color? Can you choose to print 4-color even when 6 are loaded?

ProColorGraphics

I was told as an example, the numbers aren't totally correct, that if it would normally take 6 drops of ink to get purple, 3 cyan and 3 magenta, it would still take 6 drops, it would just be 2 of each CMLcLm. It uses the Lc and Lm where it had to lay down more of another color before, so it doesn't actually use more ink.