• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thoughts on Mimaki Print Head Cleaning

caribmike

Retired with a Side Hustle
I've had this Mimaki JV33-130 for many years and last had a new print head installed by a technician in 2018. My print head definitely has issues. I've done several overnight soaks but it doesn't seem to improve.

Should I attempt to manually flush the head using the syringe method or just bite the bullet and buy a new head?

I appreciate everyone's opinion and advise!
Mimaki Test Print.png

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If you're prepared to get a new head, you might as well try to flush this one. That pattern doesn't look like it will recover very well in my experience but worth a shot.

rvolkers

I've had this Mimaki JV33-130 for many years and last had a new print head installed by a technician in 2018. My print head definitely has issues. I've done several overnight soaks but it doesn't seem to improve.

Should I attempt to manually flush the head using the syringe method or just bite the bullet and buy a new head?

I appreciate everyone's opinion and advise! View attachment 170961
have who ever installed the head come BACK! - seems to be defective! get a new head!

caribmike

Retired with a Side Hustle
have who ever installed the head come BACK! - seems to be defective! get a new head!
The issue is that I'm located in the US Virgin Islands and, if I want a technician to come, I have to pay for his airfare, hotel, etc. so its quite expensive.

MikePro

if you're on the islands, i'd highly recommend you ditch the solvent printer and get into an HP Latex.
I still love Mimaki, and look forward to that being the brand for my first flatbed BUT i have not called a technician for service since we got our first HP latex in ~2006.

edited to add: we did keep our mimaki 160 until around 2015, but I had already taught myself to replace my own printheads via S101 & youtube vids.
its actually not that hard, but there are a LOT of ways to make things worse & spend more $$$ along the way.