• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thoughts on purchasing sign shop w/ older Gerber equipment

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
if you want to keep doing work is panels when printing, its not bad. the issue is The gerber edge DPI is only 150 max. Most other shops can get better quality printing for the same price tier. while it is a great deal, unless you have modern equipment, you will be a 1980's sign shop. what year is it now?

I would love to see what you think about the fact that I'm currently working on a mixed media vinyl job since the dude wanted a metallic fade with brushed metallic accents and as of such ... haven't seen a printer that can do that yet ... especially with flat black elements involved under that. Guess my shop is stuck in the 70's.

:noway:

Custom_Grafx

I think being a screen printer, it's a good move for you. Although digital, the gerber printing system is more closely related to what you already do as opposed to inkjet printing.

If you ever get orders for screen printed whites/metallics on short run clears (or anything), then imagine... you can give the same product, without making screens and the such.

And although there are now inkjets that do white/metallic... the opacity/density of the gerber seems (in my experience) far superior.

kffernandez

hey guys, i've never owned a gerber before. and pretty much all of you seem to have good things to say about it. are there updated models for this? [the so-called 80's tech printer that is still chugging along now] like with faster, better features, etc?

kelly

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
hey guys, i've never owned a gerber before. and pretty much all of you seem to have good things to say about it. are there updated models for this? [the so-called 80's tech printer that is still chugging along now] like with faster, better features, etc?

kelly

The current Edge model is the Edge FX. The current software is Omega 5. It runs up to three times faster than the original models and uses software resolution enhancement to print at up to 1,200 DPI.

kffernandez

The current Edge model is the Edge FX. The current software is Omega 5. It runs up to three times faster than the original models and uses software resolution enhancement to print at up to 1,200 DPI.

thanks for the info fred! printing on foils while maintaining the spot colors has always been a difficult task. this might be exactly what we need. i just have to figure out if there is an asian supplier/counterpart for it.

thanks again.

kelly