• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thoughts on this logo

stephenj148

Looking for some critique on this logo.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-04-22 at 10.45.33 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-04-22 at 10.45.33 AM.png
    61.4 KB · Views: 104

ionsigns

One color logo? Set up total of three - three different classic fonts.
Maybe arc or distort the type so not so rigid - too straight?
Bankers Gothic...not so much? Wood cut graphic vs. stylized multi color.

Most painters graphics I remember (remembering is the key) have color on the brush or dripping from it. If course dripping not good for painters but conveys the idea.

Keep up the good work!

GoodPeopleFlags

I don't like the text on top of the image. Try moving it to the side or below it. Actually, they could use it either way for a horizontal or vertical layout. Try a few different fonts, too. I like the image, tho.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
It looks like something from Microsoft word or publisher.

Moreover, any use of copperplate in a logo or a sign should be punishable by death. Copperplate is intended to simulate steel engraving at small point sizes. Those square serifs are supposed to represent chisel finials. It should never, ever, be used at any size where the serifs can be seen as they actually are. Even properly used, it's a butt-ugly type face.

signswi

Brushes aren't integrated enough, looks like what it is--some clip art on top of each other. Draw your own brushes and shield. Text over the image isn't good either, and not a fan of Copperplate ever.

stephenj148

thanks for all the suggestions.

being a younger designer, it's difficult to know which fonts have bad history to them... so thanks for that little lesson.. (bet I won't use that again!)

As of now its one color, I've been taught to do first designs in B/W as to not have a color distort a clients idea of the logo itself.

I will post changes later.

HulkSmash

thanks for all the suggestions.

being a younger designer, it's difficult to know which fonts have bad history to them... so thanks for that little lesson.. (bet I won't use that again!)

As of now its one color, I've been taught to do first designs in B/W as to not have a color distort a clients idea of the logo itself.

I will post changes later.

it's not doing it in black and white first, you just need to make sure it works in that format. That isn't a logo its a bunch of clip art stacked on top of each other with a bad font.

Jillbeans

To make the brushes look less cookie cutter clip art, ungroup one and manipulate the stuff in the handle to be as if both brushes had the same light source.
Or just make one brush and center it in the shield, it looks haphazard with the criss crossing brush strokes.
They could be bigger and the shield element smaller.
Make the LLC smaller too.
Maybe put it in a small oval near the point in the bottom of the shield.
Love.....Jill

Biker Scout

Here's a tip... Ask yourself what stands out the most when when I look back at the logo? The black shield. It's the most visually weighted piece in your "logo".

Copperplate isn't really a good choice when building a brand or a logo. Start with a Letterhead Font. They are unique enough to stand on their own. They aren't system fonts or legacy fonts that have just been around for a century or two.

As you get more and more experience, you'll notice how the right typeface just interplays with it's surroundings if done correctly. Absorb any and all information from Before & After.

If the name of their business is Legendary Painting then make their logo legendary!

Biker Scout

Here's a quickie that I just did based off some screen shots from the web. Now, what I did here was pretty cliché in terms of painting logos. But, it's at least a start in a different direction than clip art brushes and shields. With minimal effort, this example looks more "Legendary". Now I could put in more time to tweak it and polish things up, but I'd show this sketch to the client to see if this was a direction they wanted to go down before I finalized it.

Attachments

• Legendary.png
    Legendary.png
    107.2 KB · Views: 164

stephenj148

The client likes the idea of the shield to give it the "legendary" symbol to it. Maybe I don't have the right way of going about it, but he likes the shield.

Williams Signs

Try taking the paint brushes and flipping them horizontal. The shield reminds of those things on walls with two swords on it. then arch the text around the shield.

Flame

Shield is fine...just your brushes don't elicit much excitement, and copy is BLAH. New fonts. Don't need some fancy $50 font, just something clean and legible. For a painting company, I'd go bold.

Here's a quicky of mine to throw in the mix to help stir up ideas.

Attachments

• Legendary painting.jpg
    Legendary painting.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 135

Jillbeans

Take off the grunge and Flamey's suggestion is pretty solid.
(nobody wants a paint company to leave splatters)