• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thousands of tiny bubbles in a trailer wrap?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Maybe this'll help.................

[video=youtube;mlCiDEXuxxA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlCiDEXuxxA[/video]

Pat Whatley

are they guys who installed this experienced? Not trying to sound like a jerk, but it looks like a rookie install.

I've been installing vinyl for 22 years, wrap type vinyl for 8. The other installer has been installing wraps for 12 years. The third for 8. If one person's panels were messed up then I'd understand application error. Three different experienced installers having the exact same problem, on the same job, and no other jobs? Something has to be going on.

We do almost all of our trailers with 140 and have never had this problem. The one we did the next day with the same roll of material we had no problems.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
From what you've posted Pat, it seems to me to be narrowed down to the trailer itself. Either the trailer manufacturer or the dealer has done something different enough to the surface to cause the reaction to the vinyl and which has survived your surface prep, or something is wrong with your surface prep.

To test the theory, try applying a swatch of the same film and a different film and check it after a day or two. If both swatches have bubbles then it is surface contamination. If only the IJ40 has bubbles, then you're dealing with a combination of the IJ40 and the surface as a special situation causing the reaction and you will know that removing and reinstalling with a different film will fix the problem.

CanuckSigns

I've been installing vinyl for 22 years, wrap type vinyl for 8. The other installer has been installing wraps for 12 years. The third for 8. If one person's panels were messed up then I'd understand application error. Three different experienced installers having the exact same problem, on the same job, and no other jobs? Something has to be going on.

We do almost all of our trailers with 140 and have never had this problem. The one we did the next day with the same roll of material we had no problems.

From the way your post was worded it sounded like you had someone install it, I didn't know it was you installing yourself, then I would agree with Fred, contact the trailer dealer and see if they can think of anything.

Are you able to get the trailer back for a few days and try a panel of some other material to see how it works?

reQ

Since it was right from the dealer's lot. Was it all cleaned with alcohol? Maybe it was waxed and not 100% of it was cleaned? That would of explained adhesion issues after install... My wild guess

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Since it was right from the dealer's lot. Was it all cleaned with alcohol? Maybe it was waxed and not 100% of it was cleaned? That would of explained adhesion issues after install... My wild guess

Maybe this - some type of shipping coating that did not get completely removed.

To fix the bubbles that are already there get one of these:
Technical-tattoo-machine-MTD1C.jpg
They will poke several hundred times per minute - shouldn't take long to clear a few thousand bubbles......

wayne k
guam usa

Z SIGNS

If a tree falls in a forrest

If bubbles are on the sign and you can't see them from 5' away are they really bubbles.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I would guess insufficient squeegee pressure. I've notice on flat easy panels I'll squeegee really fast and the faster you go the more pressure you need to use. Also when it starts to warm up installers tend to back off on squeegee pressure because you start pushing wave of vinyl then get a wrinkle.

If that is the case, get a wet edge squeegee. If you keep the squeegee edge wet it will glide like butter and you can use all the pressure you want and no wave.

Remember when the temperature starts to change you have to adjust. Those first few installations every year at 90 plus deg in the sun are always a relearning experience.