Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Thriving Business For Sale

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing, Pricing Etc.' started by Julie A. Zeitzmann, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Julie A. Zeitzmann

Julie A. Zeitzmann New Member

Jul 15, 2020
    Washington, Missouri
    Hello Everyone,

For 2 years of my past 39 sign business years, I have been the sole owner of a 49 year old, well established sign business. My father, the founder of the company, retired in 1999. Although he remained there basically working until 2012, when he really stepped away and let my sister and I truly run everything. Then she retired 2 years ago when I purchased her share of the company.

Now it's time for me to sell the business and retire along with my husband who's a retired fire chief. We have 2 grandchildren that live locally and another on the way, who's parents live 5 hours away. We want to be available to help whenever they need something, and do some traveling in the U.S. I currently watch the 2 grandchildren one day a week. So that means the shop is open 4 days a week and I am still very busy.

I am located in beautiful Washington, Missouri. It's an amazing growing community! There is honestly so much potential here to do even more sign work than I currently offer.

If you are ready to buy and continue this well know family business, please contact me by phone 636-239-4061 or email jpsigns@att.net. Or if anyone has recommendations on how to sell my business I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks,
    Julie

Tags:
  2. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    Bury a statue of Saint Joseph by your shop and it will sell. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Not many details...but I'd talk to a business broker to see if it's worth anything

4. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Do you have employees or is this 100% owner-operated? Long term high-value clients? Area competition? Consistent successful marketing?

These are all factors for a sale. I would get with a broker and map out a retirement plan to separate yourself from your business enough that it's self-sufficient. The sale of the business will be smoother, easier, and go for a higher value.

5. Reveal1

Reveal1 Active Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    Christian is correct that there are a lot of factors that enter in to establishing value, but in the end the main factor is how much cash is historically generated for the owner and whether that's growing, stagnate, or declining. . A multiple of 1.5-3 times cash flow is one metric used in the print industry. Cash flow being whatever the owners pay themselves plus net profit.. Add to that the present value of hard assets and that would be a starting point to negotiate. Those other factors will guide the potential buyer to their perception of how much of that cashflow they are likely to see.

For what it's worth, a few years ago I was working with a broker to purchase a print-related business. They added very little value; the prospective seller had listed his business and I had networked with the owner but had to deal with the broker. A good accountant, lawyer and non-disclosure agreement are essential. If you think about it, you'll realize you have many prospective buyers either your business circle or even customers. Offhand, I can think of at least four business owners (two are customers) that would be prospective buyers if I chose to pursue it. That said, I wonder how many small sign shops are successful in selling. Unless they have unique capability or access to markets others don't, it's too easy for existing competitors to step in or a newbie to come in and fill the void, often the owner is the person with the critical sales relationships.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1