• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Throw away laminator

Boyblue

Need a laminator to apply a few hundred printed vinyl pieces to substrate. Once done we'll probably scrap it. I've been considering the Royal Sovereign RSC-820 CLS or the GFP 230C. Either will do but a lower priced option will make the arrangement more profitable.

Would something like this do the trick or should we go with a manual laminator?

jtinker

Owner
Why not just outsource the service if its a one off. This little 26 inch laminator will give you hell unless those signs are a few inches across. Someone with a 64" or even a 54" laminator can mount full 4 x 8s in a few seconds. As far as they go we have only used Royal sovereign, Seal and Ledco laminators so far. Seal is by far the best, maybe there is a leasing option that you can find that would help. Royal sovereign is okay but operation of the machines they have feel clunky and if you're not used to using one you will screw up a few hundred of those few hundred prints. Same with those cheap dinky little things from us cutter.

shepherddesigns

It depends on the size you are laminating. I've been using a manual 39" eBay laminator for a year and have put quite a bit of material through it and never had a problem. I would think something similar would be just fine, especially for a one off job.

TomK

It depends on the size you are laminating. I've been using a manual 39" eBay laminator for a year and have put quite a bit of material through it and never had a problem. I would think something similar would be just fine, especially for a one off job.
Same here, one of those Orange ones, 1 year plus and I think I screwed up one job. Granted my runs are 8 to 10 feet max, but it has worked well for what we do.

Christian @ 2CT Media

We bought a OrangeA 51" laminator for $200 bew 2 years ago and it works perfect for that. You'll also find that you will just keep it as it's so handy.

brycesteiner

Need a laminator to apply a few hundred printed vinyl pieces to substrate. Once done we'll probably scrap it. I've been considering the Royal Sovereign RSC-820 CLS or the GFP 230C. Either will do but a lower priced option will make the arrangement more profitable.

Would something like this do the trick or should we go with a manual laminator?
I have a hard time thinking this could do several hundred easily. The picture showing it running through with the guy holding the laminate is completely photoshopped. It's inline with the table yet floating in mid air with the floor rollers still on.
I think having one with a takeup for the liner would make your life a whole lot easier and would not lose near as much in the process. You will have real problems using the one you are looking at.

You don't say what size or what substrate you are planning. That might give people a insight into the answer.

thezigman

Sign maker near Chicago
I also use an el cheapo laminator from ebay. I've been using it without any issues for over 2 years now.

This is not my video, but gives a good outline of the process...

Boyblue

Why not just outsource the service if its a one off. This little 26 inch laminator will give you hell unless those signs are a few inches across. Someone with a 64" or even a 54" laminator can mount full 4 x 8s in a few seconds. As far as they go we have only used Royal sovereign, Seal and Ledco laminators so far. Seal is by far the best, maybe there is a leasing option that you can find that would help. Royal sovereign is okay but operation of the machines they have feel clunky and if you're not used to using one you will screw up a few hundred of those few hundred prints. Same with those cheap dinky little things from us cutter.

Anyone that I would outsource it to would have bid on the job, so to avoid complaints about the printed vinyl being an issue
yada yada yada, I figure I'd bring in one of the double digit unemployed, at the same time giving them a marketable skill and maybe even the laminator. Leasing is not done here and US companies will not allow leased equipment out of the country unless your talking about serious equipment. I beleive the little laminators feel clunky because of the small roller wheels, I couldn't find a 30" with 5" rollers anywhere so clunky will have to do.

My apologies, the sizes are 24x36, 24x24, 24x16 and 16x12. How many of these should I expect to be done in a day? I'm allowing for an adjustment period of a few days but after that, would 100 pcs/day be too much to expect?

Why scrap it? I am so confused about that

I just meant that we would no longer have use for it - at least not on a daily basis. It would go into storage or sold. The point I was making was that the cost of the laminator would have to be absorbed by this single transaction. As it stands, we can have the vinyl printed, purchase the precut substrate, buy a $3,000.00 laminator, pay an individual to mount the signs and still come out way ahead of the best price I've received for direct printing to 030 polystyrene.

Boyblue

So you aren't a sign company at all?

No, not in the sense that we work for hire. But by that definition we were not an embroidery company either. I just happen to believe if you're your only customer the information, techniques and skills needed are just as important.

Last edited:

T_K

My apologies, the sizes are 24x36, 24x24, 24x16 and 16x12. How many of these should I expect to be done in a day? I'm allowing for an adjustment period of a few days but after that, would 100 pcs/day be too much to expect?

I've managed to do over 100 pieces in one morning by hand with a 4" felt squeegee. You don't need a laminator for this unless you have no experience whatsoever. It seems like a waste of money to me to buy a piece of equipment you'll use once and then trash it.

While a laminator makes it a bit faster, there are also complications you can get into - for example, you're more likely to stretch the prints during application. It sounds like you're thinking about grabbing someone off the street with no experience in vinyl application. Have you calculated in the cost (and time) of reprinting when they mess up some of the prints?

Boyblue

I've managed to do over 100 pieces in one morning by hand with a 4" felt squeegee. You don't need a laminator for this unless you have no experience whatsoever. It seems like a waste of money to me to buy a piece of equipment you'll use once and then trash it.

While a laminator makes it a bit faster, there are also complications you can get into - for example, you're more likely to stretch the prints during application. It sounds like you're thinking about grabbing someone off the street with no experience in vinyl application. Have you calculated in the cost (and time) of reprinting when they mess up some of the prints?
I considered the cost of misprints. The mounting process is a 5 or 6 step process Are you saying that even if a person of adequate intelligence is trained to follow the 6 steps, you get more misses with a laminator than you would with a squeegee?

ikarasu

I considered the cost of misprints. The mounting process is a 5 or 6 step process Are you saying that even if a person of adequate intelligence is trained to follow the 6 steps, you get more misses with a laminator than you would with a squeegee?
I'd say your more likely to stretch the vinyl if it's done by hand, than by a laminator.

I cant imagine doing so many by hand....

What material are you getting it printed on? I'm presuming the pieces are coming laminated?

brycesteiner

I've managed to do over 100 pieces in one morning by hand with a 4" felt squeegee.
While a laminator makes it a bit faster, there are also complications you can get into - for example, you're more likely to stretch the prints during application.
That's bull. There will be more stretch on any squeegee than the laminator that just rolls it on.
I would go with the Big Squeegee too as suggested above if this is just something that is considered temporary and not equipment to continue using.

ams

To chime in on this. When I purchased a laminator I messed up my first half dozen prints. Then after that I was getting about 3 out of 5. It took about a year before I got it down to 100% success rate. Because I didn't know the tension had to be 100% perfect or else it could screw everything up. So just know that if you buy one, you don't just hook it up and laminate. There is a lot that goes into it and you will mess up many of the prints.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This is like talking to someone who still thinks beta tapes are the best forms of recorded music. Times have changed, methods have changed and technology has certainly gotten much better. However, some are just stuck in time and insist on doing things in a non-productive fashion.

No sense in trying to educate the unattainables.

Christian @ 2CT Media

This is like talking to someone who still thinks beta tapes are the best forms of recorded music. Times have changed, methods have changed and technology has certainly gotten much better. However, some are just stuck in time and insist on doing things in a non-productive fashion.

No sense in trying to educate the unattainables.
Are you talking about the OP? If so I hope you realize he is in Nassau and most likely flatbeds aren't prevelant or very expensive on their islands. Mounting prints with a laminator is very easy if you remember to center the image on the laminator to prevent walking.