• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Throwback Thursday: post your first set of wheels.

Joe Diaz

Just a little afternoon fun... post your first car or truck and tell us a little about her (or him).

Throughout high school I always drove the company truck. My parents weren't the type to buy me or my brothers cars when we turned 16. I was luckey I had anything to drive. However you couldn't quite get away with anything driving around in big truck with the family bushiness name painted on big as hell. LOL I finally scrounged enough money together to get this 2.0L, 90hp, chick magnetizing, road eatin monster... the 1989 red hot Chevy Beretta! Vroooommm. :ROFLMAO:

IMG_0059.jpg

This photo was taken the day we parted ways. One day I got out of the car, pulled the key out of the ignition, then got a few steps out the door before I realized the car was still running. That was the straw that broke the camels back. sooo many things went wrong with that car. :Big Laugh

First vehicle I bought with my own money = 76 Ford F-150 like this one in 1980. It was a standard and I almost burned the clutch out making the 3-mile drive home from the car lot. My dad and brother traded it for a Nova when I went to college.

1970-1979-ford-trucks-31.jpg

Vehicle I learned to drive with and eventually took to college, etc. = 76 Pontiac Sunbird, like this one.

HPIM1179.jpg

I got the reputation as a carburetor man because of it. I replaced the carburetor while I was in college and didn't know you had to adjust the jets on it. It wouldn't start. So I went inside. I came out a few hours later and the hood was up and the whole engine compartment was burned. The thing had caught on fire, and someone had tried to put it out with a fire extinguisher. Just left it on the street and let the city dispose of it.

:banghead:

Jane Diaz

110719-B-pi.jpg
I had just graduated from college and had never had my own car. I had a job teaching art in a local grade/high school so I could afford a car! However this was all I could afford...I had it till about 1980 and it was named "Polly Pinto"!

SignManiac

Actually this was my first one only in white. Don't have any original photos of it. I drove this thing all over the country when I was eighteen.

Attachments

• Dodge Sportman.jpg
    Dodge Sportman.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 111

Chriswagner92

photo.JPG car.jpg

My first is on the left. a '97 Toyota Celica, with the "big" 2.2l 4 cylinder. Sadly it was an automatic. Great little car, and decently quick for a 17 year old. This pic was like a month before I sold it and did these "cool mods". I got pulled over in that thing way more than I should have. I remember the first time I was driving by myself (legally) I was cruising with my friend in the mountains and we went over a hill and caught a little air. Another time I was driving home from school with the same friend while it was raining and I was coming around a corner and the rear end broke loose, almost hit a pickup and a boulder, but I saved it while looking calm I guess, my buddy looked over and said "Nice" and I looked at him and said "That was not on purpose". We promptly got back to his house and changed my pants. This car was also when I had my first accident. to this day I avoid going to the deli where it happened because I am afraid I will crash again, although since then they have put a traffic light in.

A lot of good times were had in this car, and I wish I had kept it, but I have the need for speed, and it just wasn't cutting it for me. Looking back If I had kept it I probably wouldn't be in the trouble that I am now. I really do miss that little red rocket more than I can explain. I used to see it driving around town after I sold and would tear up a little bit.

I then moved up to this 04 350z, which compared to the Celica, is a complete monster. I had to have the 6 speed in it. Got me in more trouble than I'd care to admit. I keep telling myself to never sell this one, because of how I felt with the celica. I feel like yes I can sell it and get a newer, better, faster car, but I would be selling the memories along with it, something I did not know when I had my Celica.

Chriswagner92

Actually this was my first one only in white. Don't have any original photos of it. I drove this thing all over the country when I was eighteen.

If it was a little older and green we could call you Janitor. I wish vans would do the whole retro thing the muscle cars did. They looked so much better back then I think.

Marlene

a red 1968 VW bug. I'd never driven a standard so the guy at the car lot had me drive around the parking lot a few times and off I went. couldn't stop on a hill for about the first 6 months. had to plan all my trips for flat land which is not that easy living where I do. loved that car except in the winter as it didn't have the fancy gas heater and it was cold. my passenger's job was to scrape the window while we both pulled out sweaters up over our mouths trying to as much of the windows clear as we could. good times!

Mosh

2.jpg

76 Bronco, 302 V8, check out the license plate...took this pic today. It is waiting for me to put a new transmission in. Someday project.

Pat Whatley

Vehicle I learned to drive with and eventually took to college, etc. = 76 Pontiac Sunbird, like this one.

Me too! 1976 Pontiac Sunbird with 140 cubic inches of pure, raw, untamed horsepower. If I wanted to pass someone I had to back off of them about 100 yards and floor it so I'd have a running start when I got to them. Didn't matter....that POS was freedom! Car was $200....the stereo was another $300 (in 1986) because priorities, you know. When we bought it the car had 80,000 miles on it and had NEVER had an oil change. The girl didn't know you were supposed to change it, she just added oil when it got low. We had to take the oil pan off the first time we changed the oil to scrape the junk out of it. The oil filter had gone so far there was no filter stuff left in it....just gunk.

Attachments

• 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 101

Commando

94 Ford Ranger Splash. I started working when I was fourteen pulling out scrap from die cut letters off the press. I bought that truck and put 3 grand in it. I won car shows and SPL shows. Even broke the sound decibal once and had the state record. Needless to say, I am hard of hearing lol. The day I hit 170 DB's I thought my brain was about to turn to liquid and ooze out of my ears.

Joe Diaz

I really do miss that little red rocket more than I can explain. I used to see it driving around town after I sold and would tear up a little bit.
Can't say I miss my first car LOL. But I do wish I could have kept the car I had before the one I own now. It was an 07 mustang. My first new car purchase. Nothing amazing really, but If I still had it I would mad max it up. Make it look like it belongs in the steampunk apocalypse, kind of like the car in that Death Race movie a few years back. Then I'd take it to car shows, because you know something like that would stick out.

Cross Signs

We Make Them Hot and Fresh Everyday
In 1973 I bought a 1966 Chevy Impala (Bad engine) and a 64 Impala (Bad body, good engine) and swapped motors in the 66. I was 15 years old, On my 16th birthday I took the test and was driving.

gabagoo

Ford Mercury Comet GT - dark metallic brown with Gold striping / radial t/a's and Hijackers. The car was 2 years old when I got it and the rust was incredible. 250 1 barrel 3 speed tranny. This pic is not mine but close. What a piece of ^&%$!!

Attachments

• 1972_mercury_comet-pic-4345620925611286151.jpg
    1972_mercury_comet-pic-4345620925611286151.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 110