• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Throwing myself to the wolves

Sticky Signs

Ok, so I'm not a designer and I have never claimed to be, however once in a while someone asks me to do something for them. In this case, my friend asked for a simple logo design and he provided me with the basic idea. IE - tailpipe with flames. So, in trade for a few beers, I agreed to try and help him out.
I'm posting this to see what my peers think and to get some ideas as to what can be done to improve upon. Don't worry, I've got thick skin so bring it on.
Cheers to more beers!

Attachments

• logo ideas2.jpg
    logo ideas2.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 143

Marlene

if the business was a motorcycle shop, that would be a cool direction to go. since it's a lighting and electrical company for movies and TV, why on earth would you have a tailpipe blowing fire????? it would be like having a burger or a cake or a pair of shoes. it just doesn't fit the type of business that it is and looks really odd because of that.

Marlene

he's a motorcycle geek is fine and dandy but putting that into a logo is a bad idea as it has nothing to do with what he does. I see this a lot with customer's as they "like" something that has nothing to do with anything about their business. it's an ego thing and self serving. designs are not for the customer, they are for the customer's customers.

my comment is not specific to your design. you are dealing with a company that is marketing it's services to an industry that has professionally trained graphics people this is a situation where it would be in the companies best interest to hire someone who has the skills to represent them professionally.

there is nothing wrong with being a sign company that produces other people's designs or hires an outside professional designer if you can't justify having one on staff but even the best designers that i know will occasionally be approached with projects that simply do not fit their design style and they find someone who fits the profile for what their client needs.

anyone who is weak in the design arena will only be helping themselves to hire a professional. turning out weak poorly designed work will hurt you and hurt you in a hurry. there is a multitude of designers available on a contract basis, then you can mark up their services and provide the client with a product that represents them well and represents your shop as a company that turns out well designed products that generate results.

Jillbeans

OK first of all.
Before I enlarged it to see just what that tagline said, I thought the main font was REALLY weak/wimpy/generic. No special effect would help it have any balls.
If anything use a bolder version of it, no effects, maybe a nice black outline on it.
I would go for a more traditional flame because I have always been told that tribal flames are too trendy.
The text in the tailpipe is VERY hard to read, and the font choice looks like something for a bank or a draftsman.
Maybe put what they do (PRODUCTION SERVICE ETC ETC) directly under SPORTY.
But then I thought...just what the heck does a tailpipe with flames have to do with lighting for film & TV? I could see the fire as somehow being attached to a wire (but then that makes it seem like they would have poor wiring that was incindiary)

I think you need to step back and be Hannibal Lecter for a minute.
What is its nature?
What does it do?
Because what you have shown us is very confusing.
Just being honest, I hope I did not sound mean.
Love....Jill

Mikeifg

my comment is not specific to your design. you are dealing with a company that is marketing it's services to an industry that has professionally trained graphics people this is a situation where it would be in the companies best interest to hire someone who has the skills to represent them professionally.

there is nothing wrong with being a sign company that produces other people's designs or hires an outside professional designer if you can't justify having one on staff but even the best designers that i know will occasionally be approached with projects that simply do not fit their design style and they find someone who fits the profile for what their client needs.

anyone who is weak in the design arena will only be helping themselves to hire a professional. turning out weak poorly designed work will hurt you and hurt you in a hurry. there is a multitude of designers available on a contract basis, then you can mark up their services and provide the client with a product that represents them well and represents your shop as a company that turns out well designed products that generate results.
Yes to all of that.

OldPaint

heres my problem........
"in trade for a few beers, I agreed to try and help him out. "
THAT WAS THE BEGINNING FOR...........where you are..............
as you say your no designer..........but you CAN DRINK A BEER.......which has nothing to do with what he needs.
TELL HIM THIS............flames mixed with ELECTRICITY.........what does that SAY????
somebody SCREWED UP BIG TIME!!!!!
you both need to try this at 8 AM IN THE MORNING, and no beer involved!!!!!!

Mosh

Here in Nebraska we deal in Chickens and Pies for payment, the beer is like a tip for a job well done. You my friend are going to be sober.....

Jillbeans

Here's a quick mock-up idea (very trite & rudimentary)
I did a Google image search for movie lights and tried to build one with simple shapes.
I couldn't remember the secondary copy so I just guessed.
Shovel, that font is my Bank Gothic.

Attachments

• Graphic1.jpg
    Graphic1.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 109

neato

Nice one Jill!

Here's another idea. Not sure I love it, but it might spark something creative....

Attachments

• sporty.gif
    sporty.gif
    18.4 KB · Views: 107