• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thunderbolt 427 decal

capone27

Has anyone done one of these? I have been ask to cut one for a drag race guy who has one.

Any help would be great!
I don't have a good pic. I found this online, but I have not found anything I can work with.

thanks
capone

Attachments

• RT5I.jpg
    RT5I.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 329

Vinylman

Capone;
You struck a nerve when you requested the "Ford Thunderbolt" decal.

Back in 1965 I was one day away from owning one of those monsters.
The town I grew up in Youngstown had a number of people who had deep Detroit connections, and so a number of the hottest cars of the early to mid sixties ended up being raced in and around my home town.
Several of these notorious Thunderbolts reside in a private collection only 17 miles from where I currently live.

The "Thunderbolt" decal I think you are looking for was to the best of my knowledge not a factory option. Only about 6 of the 100 cars that where built in 1964 and distributed through Ford dealers had this decal. I am not sure who or where they where produced. I have a picture of one of the original cars with the decal you mentioned.
Let me know if you need further info.

Vinylman

Here is some additional info {unvarified} that I just came across.
the decal you are trying to replicate is actually the Thunderbird 427 decal that was on the valve covers of the mid 1963-1966 Ford Thunderbird engine. Some of the racers liked the looks of this so much they had replicas made {actually back then 1964} they where hand painted in most cases that I could verify. The ones you might see on current restored cars are probably cut out of vinyl which was not how the originals where most likely produced.

capone27

Cptcorn that is cool I knew someone on here had to do one!
If you don't mind I am going to work from your image you posted?

The Guy I am doing it for has a real one it is very nice I am trying to make it as correct as possible.

I will post a Photo when complete.

I like the old Fords, I had a 66 Galaxie with a 390 but now I have a 90 Corvette. I miss my old Ford!

thanks for the Help guys!
Capone27

Vinylman

Capone27:
If you have access to a good digital camera, and an "Original" valve cover decal from Thunderbolt, or a Thunderbird engine. you might take a REALLY high quality photo to capture the details and I would be glad to print the finished decals for you.

rcook99

I have one of the original valve covers decals if you need a picture of it let me know. I actually did a 64 last year.

Attachments

• DSC00045.jpg
    DSC00045.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 280
  • 102_0740.jpg
    102_0740.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 191
  • 102_0741.jpg
    102_0741.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 176

capone27

I have one of the original valve covers decals if you need a picture of it let me know. I actually did a 64 last year.

Rcook99 if you don't mind I would really appreciate the image. I have had the flu all week and I have not made any progress on this.

I am starting to think I should print this. I have a sp540 but I have not had much luck printing gold.

thanks again guys for all the help.

Capone27