• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tiles aren't matching up

pengem

I use a VersaCamm sp300v and versaworks. I am printing a 4'x6' sign that I need to tile and the tiles are not matching up. Anyone have experience with this or any suggestions?

MikePro

not matching up like how? size? color?
for the latter, you may want to use the "rotate tiles" option, if there is one. sometimes your prints could be a shade offcolor from one end of the printer to the other. its minimal, but sticks out like a sore thumb when applied sideXside.

pengem

The left panel is installed. I can match up the left panel on the bottom, but then it doesn't match towards the top and visa versa.

Attachments

• IMG_0147.jpg
    IMG_0147.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0149.jpg
    IMG_0149.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0148.jpg
    IMG_0148.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 79

ucmj22

Does the second panel seem shorter? If so there is a good possibility that you inadvertently stretched the first panel. Any problem I have had with panels not lining up was by user error.

pengem

I pretty much assumed it was user error, I just wasn't sure what I was doing wrong. I'm using the big squeegee to apply. I just started using versaworks and I wasn't sure if I had a setting wrong. Thanks for your input.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
What materials are you using? If they are a quality cast vinyl you should be able to fix them up.
If your second panel is short it should not be to hard to drive it into alignment with the first via a little controlled stretching. Best to use a 6" block with a sleeve or velcro edge to guide the match up.
If the second is too long you can fix this also but it takes a little more work.
Get the alignment right in the critical areas around the text and then use little triangles of tented material along the remaining edges to steer the outer parts back into alignment. You bunch the material up and then use a little heat to lay them down smooth to shorten the mismatched edges.

wayne k
guam usa

Custom_Grafx

Film can stretch 'noticeably' over larger panels. As you have seen, even a small % stretch, adds up to a significant stretch over 4'.

If you feel you can't avoid stretch the way you're doing it, maybe you will have to try it wet till you figure out what is wrong with your current technique.

Also, your design allows for zero tolerance error, which just makes it worse on you. Even offset printers (whose equipment is far more accurate than our inkjet stuff), need a 2mm bleed on business cards. This means, that even on precise equipment and expensive German engineered machinery, a 2mm tolerance is required for good results.

Lining up lines in text is insanely difficult with the way you're doing it.

When I have been stuck, I have always at least tried to match from the centre, then trim accordingly the top and bottom of everything to match it up. If you go from the centre, your offset is shared top to bottom instead of having a heavy bias towards the top or bottom only.

asd

well if you are lucky you will get to match, but 90% of the time they never match, like someone posted before match the text and all the critical areas