Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Timber Frame Questions

Discussion in 'Dimensional Signs' started by 3Dsigns, Jan 18, 2019.

1. 3Dsigns

3Dsigns Member

Oct 22, 2010
    NW Florida
    Alday Frame1.JPG Alday Frame1.JPG

For anyone who has built a timber-frame sign structure; If you made this frame out of 8''x8'' pressure treated pine timbers, what kind of joints would you use? Lap joints?
    Also, the arch will need to be from laminated 8x8's. Have you ever used Gorilla Glue to laminate PT wood? What about West Systems epoxy? Or would I be better off using cedar for the arch? Thanks

Tags:
  2. spectrum maine

spectrum maine Member

Nov 1, 2012
    biddeford, maine
    as long as the pt is dry, no problems, the arch is going to need some mechanical fasteners unless you laminate from 1/4 by 8" strips.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    I'd check here: https://bensonwood.com/timberframe/

Maybe have them build a kit?

Lot's of stress points etc...not something I'd be messing with. Once you pull the permit you "own" the sign.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 3Dsigns

3Dsigns Member

Oct 22, 2010
    NW Florida
    And I'm going to need to borrow a bigger bandsaw, than the one I have, to cut it out with.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  5. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    Mortise & Tenon on all your joints with wooden dowels.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. ddarlak

ddarlak Trump Hater

i understand trying to make a statement with the sign posts, but i find the design both unattractive and a disaster of an engineering job. especially for an engineering company sign.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. neato

neato Very Active Member

May 16, 2003
    Henderson, IL
    I have to agree with ddarlak. The arch above with the rectangle sign looks a bit like someone is trying to reuse an old structure that doesn't fit the new sign. Maybe the rectangle is just a place holder for a different shape?

8. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I'm not sure about that framing detail. I did a quick search for similar shapes and they all seem to have a peak as part of the structure. And I agree, with all the detail in the frame I hope the sign shape and details are similar

Attached Files:

• 1a.jpg
      1a.jpg
      File size:
      146.1 KB
      Views:
  9. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    If made right with tendons and mortise, it would look great for an engineering company to have. It could be unattractive and a disaster if made wrong and the use of hardware and if lap joints are used they should be hidden as with good carpentry would do because you would be using long screws or nuts and carriage bolts holding lap joints together.

10. ddarlak

ddarlak Trump Hater

i guess you could look at it that way, if it was built right, it would be an engineering feat, but it still would look butt ugly

• Agree Agree x 1