• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Time for a new printer... where do I start

Drip Dry

Ok, so I've had my Versacamm for 10 years and have been very happy, but it's time for something faster and newer.

My options... I'm used to print and cut and I think it's very important to me. I only have a 30" cutter, so if I buy a print only machine, then that's a problem.

Question... Is Roland the only company that has print and cut ?

I see Roland is starting to push the XR - 640. I like the takeup but it seems ink is going to be expensive, and I don't think I would ever use anything larger than 54".

Should I be looking at the HP's with latex ink

Sorry for the rambling, but I need some direction

Any thoughts

Thanks

Dennis422

Mimaki has sprint/cut system.
If you are used to Roland printers, why change?
If you have enough work to keep it busy and printing constantly, you are OK. If you do not print every day, I would suggest Latex.
A lot less headaches IMO.
I have bought used L25500 last year and after some initial issues while learning, now it prints great. No issues. Works well with my Graphtec cutter. Also, prints go straight to laminator after they are printed.

TXFB.INS

HP & Summa are doing some package deals that are better than the Roland machines by themselves

The key point if going to be your comfort level and maintenance.
  • If you are good with machines - shop for the best deal
    • or look at china, they have some amazing pricing and good quality machines (several threads here listing the makers)
  • If you do not feel comfortable with maintenance / repairs - look for the closest vendor to your location to handle the repairs / maintance

Since you already have "print / cut" machine are you looking to trade this in? if not then use the current as your cutter and the new machine as your printer

Richard G

Machine help

I have a small shop and i now have a Mimaki JV3-160SP and i have a HP Latex 360. I have to keep the mimaki for the hp won't print on polystyrene, no big deal it's worked great for years and i expect it will for even more. the HP has some great color and speed compared to the mimaki, definitely a plus on that side as well as the issue of the out gassing of the solvent and having to wait to laminate. There are some things you won't be able to do with the HP Latex however you need to do some research as to what you will be printing and make sure it will offer you what you need. I just did 70 double sided banners on the HP and it was a bear but finally after learning some of the secrets involved with it i was able to do it. Vinyl prints beautifully. By the way i have been using Bordeaux inks in the Mimaki for about 4 years and i absolutely love it.