Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time for a new proof sheet - any tips?

Discussion in 'Designs & Layouts' started by Simon Nussbaum, Oct 5, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Simon Nussbaum

Simon Nussbaum Beautiful Signs for a Better Planet

Hi All,

It's time we put together a new proof form. Wondering if anyone has best practice suggestions now that it's (almost) 2021 or is willing to share what they use for us to copy and paste content. We are thinking a simple CS doc that we save as .jpg or locked .pdfs. Suggestions on software, content or best practices welcome.

Tags:
  2. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Member

Dec 6, 2016
    Hear nor There
    We use illustrator mostly and have proof sheet for different products set up as templates. I have attached a sample. This is sent to the customer in jpeg format. I don't worry about scaled drawings for smaller signs but we do use scale for jobs in need of permitting.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  3. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Prints stuff

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Definitely save as jpg if you don’t trust your customers/get a deposit. We send out PDF’s but we also get paid for our work 100% of the time lol

Probably worth using a decent software that has plugins/scripts that you can add dimensions etc on with minimal work.

• Like Like x 1
  4. graphicsottawa

graphicsottawa a.k.a. Phaedra

Nov 17, 2015
    Ottawa. ON
    We have a master template set up in InDesign that get copied to every new client file we open via a shell script (that's another story). All of the background stuff like field names is set up on a master page, as is the fill-in info. We have master pages for mock-up and proof stage forms. I set it up this way to leverage linked files. Basically, when there is a design change to the mock-up, I do a new version of the design in Illustrator or Photoshop or whatever, add a page to the InDesign file, and then relink to the new design file. This keeps stuff all in one place and saves a ton of typing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Simon Nussbaum

anywhere you can point me to start learning about shell scripts? Probably not for the immediate change but I like that idea.

6. Simon Nussbaum

Thank you! It's interesting how you put pricing in the template. I think for some job categories that may be a really good idea.

7. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Here is ours that we are moving away from. We are using an integrated system now.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. bluehammer

bluehammer Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Redding CT
    What system are you using?

9. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    We are building out a FileMaker solution currently but have switched to using PageProof for now.

10. eahicks

eahicks Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    We use our own proof templates in Flexi. So easy....select the layout, apply template, click Send Email as JPG, and send.

• Like Like x 1
  11. graphicsottawa

graphicsottawa a.k.a. Phaedra

Nov 17, 2015
    Ottawa. ON
    I can't really point to a specific resource. This is stuff I kind of picked up over the years dicking around with computers and trying to make them work how I want them to. Try looking up Powershell for beginners on YouTube though, there's probably something to help you along. If you're blessed enough to be on a Mac (I'm not, sadly) there is a *ton* of automation stuff out there.

12. Matt Trudeau

Matt Trudeau New Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Coquitlam, BC, Canada
    We do most of our work in Corel Draw, we have a template set up for drawings that we just insert and boom done. Also use the same for sheets that go into the shop (paint, fabrication, laser, waterjet sheets) I'm looking for an alternative for those since I don't like tons of paper floating around.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ColorCrest

ColorCrest Active Member

Dec 11, 2017
    So Cal
    Are you looking for the drawings to appear on a screen display as opposed to paper hard copies in a job jacket?

14. Matt Trudeau

Matt Trudeau New Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Coquitlam, BC, Canada
    Yes, the dream is to have a tablet or something at every station with a program that can have people mark jobs as in progress or completed. (without that costing lots :D)

15. ColorCrest

ColorCrest Active Member

Dec 11, 2017
    So Cal
    Somewhere on these boards I've posted something like this in the past...
    grabWIP.jpg

16. Matt Trudeau

Matt Trudeau New Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Coquitlam, BC, Canada
    WOAH! that looks exactly what I looking for, I'm going to hunt for this post.