Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time saving hacks!

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by iPrintStuff, Jul 24, 2019.

1. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Prints stuff

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    So generally I’m always looking for ways to make my life easier.

Even stuff as simple as cutting an L shaped bit of ACM to put on the back our canvases so I can quickly draw where the frame is meant to sit. Cost pennies but has probably saved hours and hours worth of time measuring.

Or even sonething as simple as when I’m weeding our single colour HTV, I tape the sheet to the desk, then tape a plastic tube to the back of the sheet (giving the bit I want to peel a start first). Then roll over the entire surface of the sheet, removing the excess. We do a lot of detailed stuff and this has saved me a lot of time! (Can get pictures if I didn’t explain well enough). Obviously it doesn’t weed the inside bits but takes off the large chunk of excess. (Ours is really sticky due to the detail mostly, so it takes a while longer than normal stuff). Amazing how much time a plastic tube has saved me! And it’s essentially the same thing as a weeding machine that you could spend 1k+ on.

Just wondering if you guys have any cool time saving tips that I should know about that I’ve probably missed!

Tags:
  2. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    search "nifty tips" and you'll get all of mine

3. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Prints stuff

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I remember using the google measurements one about a week after you posted it, naturally the installer didn’t believe me and went out and measured it anyway. 1/8” out!

• Like Like x 2
  4. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Last time I Googled this I ended up on sites that asked me if I was over 18 years old before letting me in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  5. Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay?

Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay? Very Active Member

We just weed HTV over a warmed up heat press platen. Get it up to around 120-140 degrees F and go crazy. It's like butter.

6. cstone94

cstone94 Pro-Graphx

Feb 22, 2016
    United States
    Are you cutting your stretched canvas with a machine? Ive got a system that produces about 800-1200 canvases per month by 1 person stretching them. Manually at that. I designed the wood bars myself and have a company produce 10 ft lengths and order 10,000 linear ft at a time. I’d be happy to share more if you can explain your stretching process more.

7. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Prints stuff

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    We just buy in loads of different bar sizes In 2” increments. Then build to suit the size requested. Canvas is then stapled on using a staple gun and any stretching tools if necessary. Then we bang In little wooden stretcher bits at the back.

We don’t do massive amounts of canvases unless we have a deal on etc around Christmas time, though. Just the little corner thingies did help loads!

8. FireSprint.com

FireSprint.com Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing

We've been building a lean culture at Firesprint that focuses on making improvements in our efficiency and productivity. We have over 400 videos on our Youtube channel showcasing what our employees are doing to help cultivate a lean working environment!

Check out our lean journey (Playlist titled Kaizen Walks) here!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/FireSprintPrinting/playlists