• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

time to step up

hailo

hello every one i have lingered around and have never posted much. well now i have a question for some of the more experienced then i. i have a vinyle cutter and am looking to get a printer. i have a local company who is convinced the roland versacam sp300 is the one i need. then theres signwarehouse (whom i bought my origanal machine from about 6 yr ago)wanting me to get the mutoh-made prism jet vj48 and the vinyl express q54-54. so i am not sure where to go then i will also need a laminator.this is not my full time buisiness but i am looking for something decent to start with.i have been doing banners and some vinyl projects but i am having peaple now ask for printed items also...
any help would be deeply appreciated
signed ..... lost

i apoligize if this is in the wrong section

Mason

hello every one i have lingered around and have never posted much. well now i have a question for some of the more experianced then i. i have a vinyle cutter and am looking to get a printer. i have a local company who is convinced the roland versacam sp300 is the one i need. then theres signwarehouse (whom i bought my origanal machine from about 6 yr ago)wanting me to get the mutoh-made prism jet vj48 and the vinyl express q54-54. so i am not sure where to go then i will also need a laminator.this is not my full time buisiness but i am looking for something decent to start with.i have been doing banners and some vinyl projects but i am having peaple now ask for printed items also...
any help would be deeply appreciated
signed ..... lost
First, Welcome to Signs 101!

Second,
When I began in this business I was also not doing it full time, I bought the Roland VersaCamm SP300V and a daige laminator, It did pretty nearly everything I asked it to and still serves me well today. I will say that the Mutoh, who also make the Epson GS6000 which I am currently using is also a great machine, IMO what you need is something that can do double duty, Buy the Roland and dont look back!! Good Luck!!

Welcome to the forum.

I started in the business part time for almost 5 years before going full time. As far as a full time sign shop I perfer having a seperate printer and cutter. This allows you to cut and print at the same time. I to bought my printer and cutter from Signwarehouse and don't regret it one bit. I would also reccomend subing out your print jobs to some of the merchants here on this site until you build up your need for a printer in house. Hope this helps you.

Stuart

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, a very belated welcome from PA......................................

FatCat

Welcome. As someone who just recently purchased a printer, I can tell you that doing your research will pay off. Spend the time researching the pros and cons of each machine's size and capabilities. Only then will you know what you really need. For the time being, it is very easy to sub out to a wholesaler and profit from someone else while you figure out your purchase.

iSign Wraps

Go with the Roland... you won't regret it. as far a laminator look into the Dry-Tac. I bought a Seal 54 and if I had it to do all over I would get the Dry Tac at half the price and more features.

Mainframe

I do not recommend a 30 inch printer, get the sp 540, with the 300 you can only do 2 foot banners! You can do so much more with a 54 inch, get the wider printer no matter what brand you choose, good luck

BobM

Welcome from Cape of Cod. I would sub out the printing until you get a feel for what your going to need. Signs 101 Merchant Members ( D&T Graphix and Gino)do a great job at prices that leave you plenty of margin to work with.

hailo

thanks everyone for the responses this place is awesome, other then ordway or signwarehouse is there another supplier you recommend

FatCat

Not sure of all your options out there - though I bet it's better than here in Ohio. Bottom line, if you're buying new biggest factor will be the service provided by your vendor. I would make sure they have speedy response in the event of an issue, and that you speak to several of their other current customers to get their feedback on how their service has been. Nothing like having a new printer with a problem and the tech. can't get to you for 3-4 days.