Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions Time to update, Latex or Solvent?

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by Farmboy, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Its a water-based ink, From what I've seen its Latex on steroids with no heat and much much better gamut. We are trying to get a live demo to evaluate dumping our 570s

2. Yeahgor

Yeahgor Born to be The Designer.

Sep 18, 2020
    San Diego, CA
    Sounds nice. However you did the Car Wrap on it? How it works with starching under Lamination? And do you think the printing speed on Hawk possible to compare with HP570?

3. Christian @ 2CT Media

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Print speed on paper are similar to Latex for 10 pass equivalent, The ink has better stretchability than latex from the samples I have but we have yet to wrap anything with it which is why we want to do a live demo.

4. TomK

TomK Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Virginia
    The Stratojet dude ignored my reply about price and serviceability, let me know how your samples turn out.

5. balstestrat

balstestrat Member

Aug 25, 2020
    Europe
    ...Nevermind I derped and misunderstood you there for a second...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  6. ikarasu

ikarasu Very Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    Every machine is different. We had a seiko h274s... It was a beast and fast. Every day we had to do maintenance though... It involved using a roller and cleaning the cap tops daily. It took maybe 10 minutes... However the roller was $1 each... The solvent $80 a bottle, and that was just the daily! Every 2 weeks we had to do a head soak with a special sheet. Each sheet was $10... And you had to soak it.in fluid that was again $80 a bottle. We calculated it was roughly $70 a month in materials, let alone time in cleaning.

So going from that to a latex... That alone was one of the biggest advantages to us. Ontop of having 6 heads fail at once, and them wanting $30,000 to replace them... It just made sense to buy a latex for cheaper than it'd cost to repair the seiko.

We've spent maybe 2 grand on heads over the 2 years we had our printer. So long as it continues this way for 28 more years.. We're ahead!

I'd never buy another seiko. They made me hate solvents. But I've heard great things about Epson, and if likely buy an Epson over an hp if I had to redo it all over again.

7. Jun Lanon

Jun Lanon Member

Oct 9, 2018
    California
    it use a synthetic water based ink. It's not a solvent based like eco solvent or latex. Pigments stay brighter, dry faster and remain flexible.

8. TomK

TomK Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Virginia
    How outdoor durable is this ink set without lamination?

9. balstestrat

balstestrat Member

Aug 25, 2020
    Europe
    By what logic is latex solvent based when it contains 60-80% water???

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  10. Christian @ 2CT Media

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Latex Inks have solvents and other chemicals in them and they are not 100% water and pigment.

11. balstestrat

balstestrat Member

Aug 25, 2020
    Europe
    Yes small amounts but that doesn't make it solvent based. It uses the water as the carrier for the pigment thus making it water based ink.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Boudica

Boudica Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Spokane, WA
    I thought the name Latex implied an oil base. I don't have a latex printer - I know nothing about them, other than they get really hot. - so this thread is fascinating :)

13. SignMeUpGraphics

SignMeUpGraphics Moderator

Apr 11, 2012
    Australia
    Technically water is a solvent... :p

14. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    And an abrasive.........:D

15. balstestrat

balstestrat Member

Aug 25, 2020
    Europe
    Well **** I guess you got me there.
    I need to start calling the Stratojet ink "Synthetic solvent based ink" now then.

16. P Wagner

P Wagner Very Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    All inks offered for sale are required to make available an MDS (used to be called MSDS) document which discloses the ingredients and percentage volume (within ranges) of the ink.

These documents are supposed to follow a standardized format, and also should disclose hazardous components and remediation steps in case of contact. See screen grab for HP Latex R-Series cyan ink. Also, with HP, the term 'Latex' does not refer to natural latex rubber, but is actually Synthetic Resin Co-Polymer.

In all cases, the 'base' of any ink is the carrier of the solid components, and is almost always > 50 percent of the ink. In the case of all HP Latex inks, water is the base/ carrier fluid - this is disclosed in the MDS.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020