• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Timely: Any experience with customer disputing a charge for an order that was produced correctly and that he picked up?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I'd suggest meeting him halfway. You can get the shirts back and then reprint the new shirts at cost. That way, you make half as much off the job and he pays half as much as he should for his mistake.

Obviously this isn't your fault, but the hand you've been dealt is that this customer will demand his money back and if this doesn't go his way, he will smear you every way he can.

Compromise. See if you can meet him halfway. By all means, remind him that he approved the proofs and show him whatever verbiage you have to illustrate what that means. Tell him what you're willing to do to help correct his f-up.

Walk away with a couple fewer bucks in your pocket, and change your proof form to reflect this reality.
He already figured it out

Stacey K

I like making signs
This happened to me a couple months ago. Sometimes, these people want something for free or a discount so they cause trouble on purpose.

I said I would reprint them but I needed the shirts back or she could buy them at a discount - she wanted them for free, she was NOT happy. I said no, I'll reuse them for samples so they won't go to waste. She refused to buy them so I just reprinted them. I still made money on the order. That B*tch took 2 months to pay me. I won't do work with her again. The mistake was not on my end but a friend had hooked me up with the order so I just rolled my eyes, smiled, and let it go.

Signarama Jockey

He already figured it out
0q9firmd0-icon-jpg-j7pk1o.jpg

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I had a charge back for shirts back in May of last year. The shirts were what the customer approved design and shirts. He picked up the shirts and had them for about a week until he sent me an email and told me that his nipples showed through the shirt and it was inappropriate for a work shirt.
He disputed the charges and Square allowed for him to keep his money.
I took him to small claims court and won. And I am on my way to place a judgement on his company. It's been a long process, but here's where I'm at. All because some kid didn't want to wear an undershirt under his very expensive WHITE drifit polo

Signarama Jockey

I had a charge back for shirts back in May of last year. The shirts were what the customer approved design and shirts. He picked up the shirts and had them for about a week until he sent me an email and told me that his nipples showed through the shirt and it was inappropriate for a work shirt.
He disputed the charges and Square allowed for him to keep his money.
I took him to small claims court and won. And I am on my way to place a judgement on his company. It's been a long process, but here's where I'm at. All because some kid didn't want to wear an undershirt under his very expensive WHITE drifit polo
Guess it all depends on what his work is.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Guess it all depends on what his work is.
the young man builds "specialty" computers.

He showed pictures to the judge of the "transparent" shirt. the judge called him out and said, "it looks like your hand is behind your shirt and youre pulling the shirt tight against your chest"

Santimus

I love these horror stories. Ive had my own and that's why I am a stickler for following MY work flow not the customers. I don't care how fast they need it turned around. 50% deposit and the artwork must be thoroughly proofed and approved by them in email or signed in person never over the phone. If it's not a realistic deadline I tell them upfront. I am 100% on the "lose the headache, not the money" side of the fence.

When I first started on my own I had a customer order a bunch of things for a grand opening a few weeks away. An order here, an order there. She was a pain in the a$$ but everything went smoothly. The final order was 1 week from opening day. I completed it in 1 day so she had plenty of time to pick it up. Despite calling her and emailing her every day that week she did not pick it up. We close for the weekend and on Monday I came back to about 10 emails, 20 missed calls and 5 angry voicemails from her as well as a charge back notification. I was more pissed learning that they actually take your money without hearing your side of things than I was about the amount. She knew we close on the weekend. She knew our hours. She messed up and I had the emails to prove it so they eventually ruled in my favor.

My favorite part: she tried ordering more stuff from me after I got my money back from card processing. Her logic was all's well that ends well... I had to explain to her that I will not do business with her again but she tried to place an order with my employee the next day which I was able to intercept and deny. Sure I felt sorry for her Grand Opening but we went out of our way for her and she tried to steal from me in return.
:frustrated::doh: