• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tiny White Dots Showing Up On Vinyl Prints

Jmac349

I am having tiny white dots show up on my vinyl prints. It is a clean perfect dot not from debris on the media. In the dark areas it looks like a nice starry night. Can be nice to look at with the girlfriend but I don't like it on my prints. I am getting it on a 3M Cast as well as an Oracal Calendered vinyls. Tried printing on a paper and the problem is not there. The media is new (purchased a few days ago). I have tried different profiles as well as resolutions with the same result. Is it just bad media? It almost seems like the spots are repelling the ink. Maybe a pitted surface? Wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem. I am printing with a Roland SC 540.

Thanks!

Ken

Next...

You obviously need to check this on other media..
Does this happen on a different roll of the same stuff?
Does it happen on ..oh..lets say...matte vinyl, compared to gloss vinyl..paper..whatever..what is the printer...what is the media?...providing all the variables will allow us to help you.
Ken
Sounds like contaminated media to me...have you run a few meters of this stuff..and still the same?
More?

Jmac349

As I wrote in the original message... "I am getting it on a 3M Cast as well as an Oracal Calendered vinyls. Tried printing on a paper and the problem is not there. The media is new (purchased a few days ago). I have tried different profiles as well as resolutions with the same result. These profiles have worked fine in the past. I am printing with a Roland SC 540".

Also I have run around 20 meters with each of the medias and the problem persists. The spots are perfect dots when you look close unlike contamination. I have also heard that the vinyl can get "pitted" from temperature change. I wonder if this is happening on the suppliers end. The two rolls that it is happening on are from different suppliers.
Thanks for the input.

Attachments

• pit.jpg
    pit.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 173
Last edited by a moderator:

promgr

What you are describing is called pooling, it can happen if your ink limmiting is to high but for the most part it comes from bad material or material where the plastistiser has migrated. You chould contact your material provider and give them the lot # from the rolls you are using and have them see when that batch was made. With that many white spots you should get free material from your supplier.

MachServTech

As I wrote in the original message... "I am getting it on a 3M Cast as well as an Oracal Calendered vinyls. Tried printing on a paper and the problem is not there. The media is new (purchased a few days ago). I have tried different profiles as well as resolutions with the same result. These profiles have worked fine in the past. I am printing with a Roland SC 540".

Also I have run around 20 meters with each of the medias and the problem persists. The spots are perfect dots when you look close unlike contamination. I have also heard that the vinyl can get "pitted" from temperature change. I wonder if this is happening on the suppliers end. The two rolls that it is happening on are from different suppliers.
Thanks for the input.

That pic sure looks like chemical contamination. What kind of ink are you running?

Jmac349

Yeah I just think it is bad material. I am using Roland Eco Sol Max ink, the same ink I have always used. Is the "Pooling" when it looks like a drip of solvent has dropped on the print? I have had that before but this is different.

Thanks!

Jmac349

OK, I just might have hit on something.... I just printed a color test with a solid magenta, cyan, black, yellow green, and red. The problem was only apparent in the colors that contained magenta. So I guess maybe it is an ink problem? I just had the pump changed but I don't see how anything there would cause it. Trying new magenta ink carts now.

rassell

Same Issue as Stated above.

I know this was a few years ago for you, but what finally resolved your issue?
I have tried sooo many things and I feel like I am out of options.