• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tip for cutting thick stuff that the blade drags on

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Little one but easy to do. Sometimes when cutting some very thick and/or stiff / heavy materials they tend to bow up some between the rollers on your cutter. This causes the blade to drag across and scratch the surface of the print just with the head moving about when it's not actually cutting. Couple of solutions for this - ideally put feed tables in front of and behind your cutter at the same hight as the cutter so the material can lay flat while it's runnign through the machine. This does work great but sometimes you are in a hurry and just want to let the material hang down on each side of the cutter like you normally would.

Take a wooden swab stick - tape it to the carriage close to the blade. Of course the location you could tape it will vary from brand and model of cutter. This is on a Summa S160T. Cutting thick 6 mil vinyl with a 8 mil polycarbonate overlaminate. Just set the swap to push down slightly on the material - not hard just enough to keep it down lower than the knife in the up position. Works great. :smile:

Just have to experiment a little with your own setup. Do not want it too low that it might catch on the edge of the material or anything. I've done this for years on both this Summa and a Mimaki CG-130FX I used to have here.

Attachments

• swabbie.jpg
    swabbie.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 110

Rooster

How does that impact the accuracy of the cuts with the media bowing between the rollers?

Personally I use the feed table method which is a pain in my small shop. Your tip looks like it might work pretty good, but I worry about whether you're trading accuracy for a little time savings.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Still very accurate but I do slow the machine way down when I'm cutting very heavy materials which helps a lot. On the Summa I have one of the "users" named "Slow and Hard" which has all the speeds turned way down and pre-feed enabled.

How does that impact the accuracy of the cuts with the media bowing between the rollers?

Personally I use the feed table method which is a pain in my small shop. Your tip looks like it might work pretty good, but I worry about whether you're trading accuracy for a little time savings.