• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tip on how to apply vinyl to Christmas balls?

fedoraoriginali

I have 8cm diameter Christmas balls that I want to cutomize with names. Any trick to applying the vinyl to such a round object? Any tips would be great!
Thanks
Dora:help

fedoraoriginali

I saw a pic of one done not too long ago on another forum but cannot remember which one :frustrated:
I am sure that it wasn't one of those monster balls! Even if you have a larger ball the spherical shape would still make it difficult to apply. I am wondering if anyone has done it?

fedoraoriginali

This is the sort of thing...

Attachments

• Babys-FIRST-Christmas-1-.jpg
    Babys-FIRST-Christmas-1-.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 129
Last edited by a moderator:

Sideshow

because on a slight curve, it allows for a straight application, it will follow the curve of the diameter easier when its cut and applied with a slight radius, when yo try to apply a straight around a diameter on a sphere, it never really looks right if its not DEAD center in the radius, especially with how the diameter gets smaller away from center.

Sideshow

Just to explain, Ive been making custom annual Christmas tree decorations for a few years for family. Ill buy the clear ones at Micheals fill them, then cut vinyl for names designs etc, to airbrush, then layer for other colors. I just found cutting names with slight radius or skews makes them apply easier, and using the minimal..nealry tweezer width of mask so that doesnt scrape.

fedoraoriginali

when its cut and applied with a slight radius, when yo try to apply a straight around a diameter on a sphere, it never really looks right if its not DEAD center in the radius, especially with how the diameter gets smaller away from center.

I'm sorry but I don't get what you mean by the radius? The radius of a circle can be anywhere..the radius just means the measurement from the outside to the centre of the sphere i.e. half the diameter???

fedoraoriginali

Just to explain, Ive been making custom annual Christmas tree decorations for a few years for family. Ill buy the clear ones at Micheals fill them, then cut vinyl for names designs etc, to airbrush, then layer for other colors. I just found cutting names with slight radius or skews makes them apply easier, and using the minimal..nealry tweezer width of mask so that doesnt scrape.
:thankyou:Can you please explain what you mean by cutting names with slight radius means? Or better than that, how you do it? I have illustrator, Photoshop Extended and Signlab.

Sideshow

Heres what I mean, since I cant explain it any different. top showing for refence bottom the curve

again, its just made it easier to apply small lettering or designs on a curved surface that small..youll have to find the right diameter to use based on the size of the item and lettering / symbol.

That was on a 24" diamter, which I would use as a base for a 6" decoration... adjusting as needed.

Attachments

• curve.jpg
    curve.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 115

fedoraoriginali

Heres what I mean, since I cant explain it any different. top showing for refence bottom the curve

again, its just made it easier to apply small lettering or designs on a curved surface that small..youll have to find the right diameter to use based on the size of the item and lettering / symbol.

That was on a 24" diamter, which I would use as a base for a 6" decoration... adjusting as needed.

:thankyou:Thanks. I did do something like that but I haven't applied it yet. If it is too fiddly it will be another idea in the too hard too much time category :)

mollygrubber

Cut vinyl.....Apply transfer tape.....trim close to letters.....cut a slit between the letters top and bottom but not all the way thru.....apply

This makes it easier when I've done it.