• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tips, Advice and Pointers

archerdesign

Hi All:

Im taking the Avery Vehicle Wrapping Course in the beginning of June, and was wondering if anyone else has taken the course? Was hoping to get some pointers or any kind of advice. I have been applying vinyl for 15 years or so, but have never done anything like this. I've only done cut lettering. So any advice tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Dave
Sechelt, BC

Mosh

Avery? AAHHH why not a quality product like 3M or Oracal? that would be my only advise.
BTW, Wrapps are going out of style.. I have not even been asked about one in 2 weeks....
Most customers found that $3k for a wrap that lasts 2-3 years is not worth it....

Craig Sjoquist

1st Avery makes a great product.

Take the course you will learn alot, take notes , anything so you get it all in.

It will help you sell and produce a better product.

If wraps are losing there appeal it is because designers have no idea how to design advertisements for wraps.

Stuckup

Get in the trainers ear and waste as much of their vinyl as possible. I have held Avery courses here for a while, and not many get in and have a go. To afraid to try in front of others apparently. They are likely as here to give you spare material to practice with. I hear all the time, that Avery, 3M, Arlon and Oracal are crap. Its just if you get used to the product, all are different to install, if you cant change you cant succeed in a product line. Do the online courses first if you like, with Avery. Lots of info on their product and its free.

I am not Familiar with Oracal, I just have to learn to use it properly, so I refuse to bag it. Has a bad reputation here, but surely as the other brands it is the installer that gives it a FULL go, before they bag it.

Stuckup

Avery? AAHHH why not a quality product like 3M or Oracal? that would be my only advise.
BTW, Wrapps are going out of style.. I have not even been asked about one in 2 weeks....
Most customers found that $3k for a wrap that lasts 2-3 years is not worth it....

Out of style, in 2 weeks, nah. Last 2-3 yrs, nah, what product you using, Avery, 3M Arlon, and Oracal last way longer than that. I am at risk of losing my main worker for 2 years, solid contract on vehicle wraps. Good wraps promote more wraps, no matter who does them. A wrap lasts 5 yrs, or longer, a wrap does not peel, a wrap looks like paint, a wrap is a moving billboard. Just quote more to look like its a premium product, and $3000 is a half wrap right?

HulkSmash

Out of style, in 2 weeks, nah. Last 2-3 yrs, nah, what product you using, Avery, 3M Arlon, and Oracal last way longer than that. I am at risk of losing my main worker for 2 years, solid contract on vehicle wraps. Good wraps promote more wraps, no matter who does them. A wrap lasts 5 yrs, or longer, a wrap does not peel, a wrap looks like paint, a wrap is a moving billboard. Just quote more to look like its a premium product, and $3000 is a half wrap right?

No... Cars average 2200-3k.
vans - 2400-3k

that's what it is here, I've been australia and things are more expensive.

lexsigns

personally speaking.. I wouldnt use Avery if it were the only vinyl left on the planet. I would go back to painting by hand!

I took their course once( before I found out first hand what they were all about) - It was not very informative, not impressed with the materials, instructors or samples.

Word of warning- should they have defective materials they will not notify you, reinburse you, stand behind the product or give a s**t about YOU at all unless you are a huge company.

It happened to me with over 500 vehicles out on the road and countless signs... Guess who got the jobs back, notified clients, stood by the work and products?? yup thats righ ME and guess what Avery did....

go ahead guess... so would YOU want to do a 3k + wrap knowing what they would do or say to you?

Not me

sardocs

I'm not sure if you want advise from someone who makes their living in your own neck of the woods, but here goes... Forget wrapping vehicles, there aren't enough clients in this area willing to pay for 'em. And two or three relative "newbies" here on the coast are already advertising them. Focus on nice clean vinyl layouts. I've been doing sign painting and vinyl here for 30 years and nobody has asked me to do a wrap yet. Hardly anyone here will part with 3k for a sandblasted monument, never-mind temporary advertising on a vehicle.