• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tips for applying 12Mil laminate?

mjkjr

Hi everyone,

I have a client who needs some signs to be a little extra durable without increasing his budget too much so we decided to go with some extra thick 12Mil vinyl.

I haven't worked with this stuff before, I usually use 3.4 Mil calendered laminate.

So here's my problem: When I run it through my cold lanminator (Daige Quickmount), even with the pressure cranked all the way I am getting a TON of bubbles. Any ideas of what I can do to prevent this?

Ghost Prophet

It's hard to troubleshoot without knowing your laminating process...

Are you attempting to lam the vinyl, or are you applying the vinyl to the sign first and then laminate over that, with the sign acting as a skid? If you are laminating the vinyl first, you should try less pressure (20-40%) and make sure the vinyl isn't tunneled and is nice and taut, and if you are laminating directly to the sign, you can use more pressure (60-80%).

Thicker lams are usually easier to apply. I would even use a big squeegee sometimes. :p

mjkjr

Thanks for the reply.

I am laminating the vinyl first. This is my usual laminating process. I print my vinyl, let it dry overnight, then I run the vinyl through the laminator, trim it, then apply to the sign/vehicle.

Vinyl is taught, no problem there. Bubbles are occuring evenly throughout, almost looks like it gives it a texture.

Maybe I do have too much pressure, I'll try backing it off in the morning and trying again.

mjkjr

Tried different levels of pressure, and also tried runing a heat gun across the roll at the point of lamination, all without any noticeable difference in results.

Anyone have any other advice? Thanks.

The lam is GF concept 238-30, 12 Mil that I got from Fellers, if that helps.

SameDay Signs

Tried different levels of pressure, and also tried runing a heat gun across the roll at the point of lamination, all without any noticeable difference in results.

Anyone have any other advice? Thanks.

The lam is GF concept 238-30, 12 Mil that I got from Fellers, if that helps.

I've used that laminate once and had alot of issues with a similar prob and I use a Royal Sovereign. I switched to a product by 3m that was 12 mil and it made a huge difference and lamianted great

Just my two cents

DSC

I've used that laminate once and had alot of issues with a similar prob and I use a Royal Sovereign. I switched to a product by 3m that was 12 mil and it made a huge difference and lamianted great

Just my two cents

"Could be the roll of material"

Im really surprised the heat didn't work..

Learn something new everyday..

Let me know how it turns out and what the solution was!

Dennis422

I just laminated a bunch of industrial labels with Substance 15 mil laminate.
No bubbles whatsoever. Using US Tech cold laminator MVT500.

mjkjr

I've attached an photo I took of the results. Seems like even pockets of air throughout. If your eyes aren't at an angle to catch the light you can't tell, but when you ARE, woah-boy is it bad. I think laying flat is more prone to this at 90 degrees as it will be used, so maybe not a big deal? Not sure how it's going to last though, and that worries me.

Any more suggestions as to what I can try would be greatly appreciated.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20151112_120938.jpg
    20151112_120938.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 165

Malkin

Have you tried adjusting the laminating speed down? Whenever I had this issue, it was greatly improved by the slower speed.

oksigns

I would go super slow, keeping a good amount of pressure as it appears to be dense film, and relaxed tension on the roll to keep the film as relaxed as possible. MAYBE even a sled underneath of addition height(if you can manage it) to add some additional pressure.

I've attached an photo I took of the results. Seems like even pockets of air throughout. If your eyes aren't at an angle to catch the light you can't tell, but when you ARE, woah-boy is it bad. I think laying flat is more prone to this at 90 degrees as it will be used, so maybe not a big deal? Not sure how it's going to last though, and that worries me.

Any more suggestions as to what I can try would be greatly appreciated.

mjkjr

Hi Guys,

I did notice in a few spots on some test pieces that I ran through, where I had jogged it (stopped for a moment and then started again) seemed to to have a strip that looked a little better, so maybe slowing down is the key.

Here's my problem with this though: my laminator (38" Daige QuickMount) doesn't have a speed control to slow it down - do you have any idea how I might be able to slow it down manually?

player

If you try a speed controller, I recommend you get a router speed control box. You can get them 20 amp.

It might be worthwhile to check the power flow of your unit, and check the motor. Check the label on it and check with a meter the power going to it. A potentiometer would best be placed at the motor, intercepting only the power going to the motor. This depends on the wiring of your laminator.