Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tips for removing frosted glass films

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by the graphics co, Feb 10, 2014.

1. the graphics co

the graphics co Active Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Gurnee, IL
    any tips for success? I heard soaking it with a soap and water and putting some plastic sheeting on it for an hour or two makes it easier, anyone done this with success?

I have a pretty sizable removal coming up and would like to be able to knock it out with some efficiency.

Thanks in advance

Tags:
  2. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    If you cut it into strips and heat it up it removes quickly

3. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    200 degree steam wands work well

4. the graphics co

Jun 26, 2008
    Gurnee, IL
    thanks!!

5. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    soaking in water has never worked for me... I'd assume that the vinyl has stayed up as long as it has because it was able to stand-up to moisture.
    heat gun and patience has always been my favorite method, otherwise mmmmaybe one of these?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    I'd be really leery of using heat on a window.
    (especially in winter) for fear of it cracking.
    I think I'd use a razor scraper (carefully so you don't scratch the glass)
    Then clean off the residue with rapid remover.
    Love....Jill

7. the graphics co

Jun 26, 2008
    Gurnee, IL
    good to know, i would hate to waste two hours waiting for the soak and find out it doesn't work.

I will pass on the zapper, with my luck the glass would explode the second i touched it with that thing. :smile:

8. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    The steam isn't meant for soaking its for non flammable heat and to keep the vinyl moisturized to prevent it coming off in chips... Steam is the same way you remove window tint.

Here is a steamer manufacturers video:

[video=youtube;qllMjRkiS9M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qllMjRkiS9M[/video]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2014
  9. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    removal from glass eh?
    most hardware stores carry large scraper tools that have worked well for me in the past. it gets messy with all the shavings, but if the stuff just doesn't wanna peel then these are a nice tool to have ready in your toolbox, as a last resort:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. the graphics co

Jun 26, 2008
    Gurnee, IL
    They are interior floor to ceiling seamless glass panels so temperature change won't be an issue.

11. the graphics co

Jun 26, 2008
    Gurnee, IL
    I will pick one of those up.

12. XtremeXccessories

XtremeXccessories Member

May 18, 2012
    Layton, UT
    Be careful what kind of scraper you get. Some of those 4" scrapers have thicker, harder blades that can scratch the glass. If they're floor to ceiling business windows then they're probably tempered so you should be ok, but if they just regular annealed glass then I'd recommend something like this with a stainless steel blade.

13. TammieH

TammieH Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Pacific NW
    My tip: Have someone else do it! LOL

But I do have one tip, if you use a scraper, round the corners a bit, just to take off that sharp corner to reduce the chances of gouging

14. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    If you're scraping wet the whole thing down with soapy water so it falls off rather than smears.
    Old mate Cookie has video of the soaking deal. Never done it personally it but looks like something worth trying.

[video=youtube;vqI2nEj1vo4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqI2nEj1vo4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2014
  15. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    This is from the tinting world - to remove rear window tint while trying to save the painted on defogger lines.
    We use a strong ammonia solution & cut trash bags to help soften things up.

What makes this clip even more informative (& entertaining) is turning on the "auto closed captioning".......

wayne k
    guam usa

Attached Files:

16. Gman75

Gman75 Member

Sep 12, 2008
    Canada
    Removing frost

That video is helpful if you have 2hrs to wait. By that time you can be done job.
    Using a good sharp blade with little pressure and cutting into strips is by far the best way. Use a heat gun to warm the vinyl up just to make pliable again if it keeps ripping.
    If it's leaving glue behind then play with the angle that your pulling it in and
    will help significantly. We remove a lot of this stuff and have perfected this method.
    If glue is left behind no sweat use a new razor blade some fluid eg windex and scrape it off. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  17. the graphics co

Jun 26, 2008
    Gurnee, IL
    thanks for the tips, everyone. The removal went smooth, heat and cut into strips worked like a charm.

18. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    +1, 4" sheetrock knife with long handle.