• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

tips for removing frosted glass films

the graphics co

any tips for success? I heard soaking it with a soap and water and putting some plastic sheeting on it for an hour or two makes it easier, anyone done this with success?

I have a pretty sizable removal coming up and would like to be able to knock it out with some efficiency.

Thanks in advance

MikePro

soaking in water has never worked for me... I'd assume that the vinyl has stayed up as long as it has because it was able to stand-up to moisture.
heat gun and patience has always been my favorite method, otherwise mmmmaybe one of these?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-10 at 3.52.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-02-10 at 3.52.26 PM.png
    37.2 KB · Views: 150

Jillbeans

I'd be really leery of using heat on a window.
(especially in winter) for fear of it cracking.
I think I'd use a razor scraper (carefully so you don't scratch the glass)
Then clean off the residue with rapid remover.
Love....Jill

the graphics co

soaking in water has never worked for me... I'd assume that the vinyl has stayed up as long as it has because it was able to stand-up to moisture.
heat gun and patience has always been my favorite method, otherwise mmmmaybe one of these?

attachment.php
good to know, i would hate to waste two hours waiting for the soak and find out it doesn't work.

I will pass on the zapper, with my luck the glass would explode the second i touched it with that thing. :smile:

Christian @ 2CT Media

The steam isn't meant for soaking its for non flammable heat and to keep the vinyl moisturized to prevent it coming off in chips... Steam is the same way you remove window tint.

Here is a steamer manufacturers video:

[video=youtube;qllMjRkiS9M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qllMjRkiS9M[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

MikePro

removal from glass eh?
most hardware stores carry large scraper tools that have worked well for me in the past. it gets messy with all the shavings, but if the stuff just doesn't wanna peel then these are a nice tool to have ready in your toolbox, as a last resort:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-10 at 4.16.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-02-10 at 4.16.30 PM.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 88

the graphics co

I'd be really leery of using heat on a window.
(especially in winter) for fear of it cracking.
I think I'd use a razor scraper (carefully so you don't scratch the glass)
Then clean off the residue with rapid remover.
Love....Jill
They are interior floor to ceiling seamless glass panels so temperature change won't be an issue.

the graphics co

removal from glass eh?
most hardware stores carry large scraper tools that have worked well for me in the past. it gets messy with all the shavings, but if the stuff just doesn't wanna peel then these are a nice tool to have ready in your toolbox, as a last resort:

attachment.php
I will pick one of those up.

Be careful what kind of scraper you get. Some of those 4" scrapers have thicker, harder blades that can scratch the glass. If they're floor to ceiling business windows then they're probably tempered so you should be ok, but if they just regular annealed glass then I'd recommend something like this with a stainless steel blade.

TammieH

My tip: Have someone else do it! LOL

But I do have one tip, if you use a scraper, round the corners a bit, just to take off that sharp corner to reduce the chances of gouging

Bly

If you're scraping wet the whole thing down with soapy water so it falls off rather than smears.
Old mate Cookie has video of the soaking deal. Never done it personally it but looks like something worth trying.

[video=youtube;vqI2nEj1vo4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqI2nEj1vo4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If you're scraping wet the whole thing down with soapy water so it falls off rather than smears.
Old mate Cookie has video of the soaking deal. Never done it personally it but looks like something worth trying.
http://youtu.be/vqI2nEj1vo4

This is from the tinting world - to remove rear window tint while trying to save the painted on defogger lines.
We use a strong ammonia solution & cut trash bags to help soften things up.

What makes this clip even more informative (& entertaining) is turning on the "auto closed captioning".......

wayne k
guam usa

Attachments

• soak-trick-cc.jpg
    soak-trick-cc.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 51

Gman75

Removing frost

That video is helpful if you have 2hrs to wait. By that time you can be done job.
Using a good sharp blade with little pressure and cutting into strips is by far the best way. Use a heat gun to warm the vinyl up just to make pliable again if it keeps ripping.
If it's leaving glue behind then play with the angle that your pulling it in and
will help significantly. We remove a lot of this stuff and have perfected this method.
If glue is left behind no sweat use a new razor blade some fluid eg windex and scrape it off. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

d fleming

removal from glass eh?

attachment.php

+1, 4" sheetrock knife with long handle.