• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tips for working out head strikes on paper

CrAkD

Hey guys I finally got my sp-300v up and running vinyl is working ok tho I havent fone any large prints on vinyl yet I've attempted some posters and I'm getting head strikes in the middle. I think part of it is I don't have any media clamps (ordered some) but was wondering if you had any other suggestions. I attached a pic of what the strikes look like they are hitting pretty good as the paper is rough just in that area.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 66

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Turn the heat way down and raise the head height(if that is an option on your printer).

wayne k
guam usa

player

One of the worst head strikes I've had was caused by the media clamps when a defect in the vinyl go caught in the media clamp... I don't think I have used them since.

phototec

I don't have a take up reel. The headstrike in the picture was on a single 11x17 poster. I would think this machine should be able to print 1 poster without a takeup reel.

Well, if the head strike was in the middle, that seams to me you had some kind of distorted bubble in the media in that area, it was not fat so the head hit the raised area.

Ok, to get rid of any humps, bumps or bubbles in the middle of your media you need to use a media take-up system to put tension on the media, to eliminate the hump.

If you don't have a take-up system, just run out about 12" of media past the front edge of the printer and attach some weighted clips onto the edge of the media to put tension on the media, that should eliminate the problems you are having.

I had a roll of media that took a UPS hit in the center of the roll, so I had a bump (hump) in the center of the media, before I had my take-up system ($300 on ebay), I would just attached weighted clips to the front edge of the media and the tension worked to pull out the humps...

Hope this helps :thumb:

player

One thing you could try is blocking off the vacuum holes the print paper doesn't cover to increase the holding power.