• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tips needed for mounting Gator to wall

Angela

I have a cutomer that wants to mount a 3' x 8' of gator to a wall. They want it to stand off of the wall about an inch. I understand I will need 1" gator for this but my question is......how to I affix it to the wall? I see this everywhere and have even done it at my house but I used silicon to attach it to my wall. Needless to say I will have to replace the entire wall if I ever take it down. I don't want to use silicone with my customer. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Angela

This is a partian wall and not a weight bearing wall, so I doubt there are any studs in this wall. Will this pose a problem for the french cleat?

Letterbox Mike

If you don't mind using something with adhesive, use 6 2"x2" blocks of 1" PVC attached to the wall and to the Gatorfoam with squares of 3M DualLock. You'll have to repaint the wall where the DualLock is at when it's removed, but it's an easy and STRONG solution.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure what a partian wall is, but weight bearing or non-weight bearing walls, they all must have studs in them to meet fire code. Otherwise, if someone leaned against a wall they'd go right through it, let alone it would burn in about three minutes.

If there are no studs in this wall.... there's nothing you can use. Just make a digital print and plaster that baby right on the wall and tell them to pretend the product is 1" thick.

Letterbox Mike

Wait, just to be clear, are you just mounting a 1" thick piece of Gatorfoam to the wall or are you needing to space a 1" thick piece of Gator 1" off of the wall. If you're just mounting it and not spacing it, use 3M DualLock without spaces, if you are spacing it, use my suggestion for spacers. Either way this works very well and is a piece of cake. We've got about 40 5x10 sheets of Gator installed in a college corridor and they've been holding up great for about 4 years now. Each one is put up with 6 1"x2" pieces of DualLock.

Billct2

gator is pretty light, I 'd use a french cleat made out of gator with a few screws into the wall and and double stik tape & glue to the back of the panel.

daveb

General Know-it-all
Plastic pads with studs from Gemini, silicon six to back of Gatorfoam, make mounting pattern, drill recommended size holes in wall, dab of silicon in hole, push studs through holes. Done. As light as Gatorfoam is 1/2'' sheetrock will hold it. Do it all the time, never had a problem.:thumb:

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I would go with a french cleat.

Also, you could make a recessed frame in the back that you screw threw (silicone the gator 'frame' to the back about inch or 2 smaller than the substrate, then with your design preset up with your screw holes, just screw through the face of the foam ... cover with a vinyl dot to cover screw head.

I made one once for a mall store where my screws were covered with printed 'rivets' ... just cut some gator into rounds, covered with a print and siliconed over screw heads. worked like a champ ... and that one was a 3'x8' w/ inch thick as the substrate, cnc 1/2" letters/elements an inch backer frame and digital print on everything involved. just use some good screws, make sure you get one in every foot at the top and bottom and you're pretty good to go.

Edit, use proper anchors with your screws if you aren't going for stud mounting.

Drip Dry

DOH....I hate when that happens.

Maybe Fred could figure a way to indicate an old post... so I won't embarrass myself someday.
Maybe it could be highlighted when a post hasn't been made in a certain amount of time. Or, a message pop up when trying to post to an old message