• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tips on installing post in concrete

704signs

Any tips on the best way to install a post and panel sign in concrete.
I have never done one ( all have been flange mount ) Is there an 2 part epoxy that you shoot into the hole to set the post? Any tricks on core drilling? Thanks

tsgstl

I have used a small jackhammer (2'-3') not sure the correct name, electric and I borrow it. It goes through blacktop like butter. Rock and concrete take more time. Then I clear out the hole and use quickcrete. I hate doing it though, it always takes more time than I budget with unexpected problems and busted knuckles. I hope someone smarter than me has a better way for the both of us ha

Mosh

I dig the holes 40" deep (frost line here) then sit the posts attached to the sign in the holes. Then I plum and level everything and brace them up with kickers c-clamped to the posts/sign. Then pour in bags of concrete and add A LITTLE water. Then take a pole (end of shovel works) and tamp and mix the water and concrete. Don't add too much water, the ground water will be enought to set the concrete. All the time check the plumb and level of the sign. Let sit a day and you are done. Tip: don't put the concrete all the way to the top on the holes, that way you can cover it up with dirt.

Most times 1 1/2 bags of quik-crete per hole is good.

Hope this helped. This is for signs up to 48"x96" BTW....bigger than that takes more work.

As far as digging holes I use a 8" auger on my tractor, but any hand auger would work too.

tsgstl

I think I misunderstood the question, In dirt I do what Mosh said but I use those cardboard tubes. I have been forced too many times with municipalities so I just bid it that way every time.

Ragin Cajun

I dig the holes 40" deep (frost line here) then sit the posts attached to the sign in the holes. Then I plum and level everything and brace them up with kickers c-clamped to the posts/sign. Then pour in bags of concrete and add A LITTLE water. Then take a pole (end of shovel works) and tamp and mix the water and concrete. Don't add too much water, the ground water will be enought to set the concrete. All the time check the plumb and level of the sign. Let sit a day and you are done. Tip: don't put the concrete all the way to the top on the holes, that way you can cover it up with dirt.

Hope this helped. This is for signs up to 48"x96" BTW....bigger than that takes more work.

I notice you are really confident in yourself and you really like to share.

I am just getting into the sign business. I private messaged several guys asking a few questions with no help...not even a response.

I guess they are keeping quiet not wanting to share a word.

I have been a photographer owning a studio for over 26 years.

I open my studio doors to everyone...I hired the best photographers in the US to come teach a 3 day class. I let even the local guys come...up to 50 photographers.

I have never had fear of helping anyone.

Thanks for all you do!

Ted

fresh

As far as digging holes I use a 8" auger on my tractor, but any hand auger would work too.

We do the same thing pretty much.. but by hand with a post-hole digger. And we don't add water, just tap down the quikcrete to get the air out. Also, be careful when you open up those bags, that stuff is powdery and not nice to inhale!

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I have never done one ( all have been flange mount ) Is there an 2 part epoxy that you shoot into the hole to set the post? Any tricks on core drilling? Thanks

If you only have a couple of holes a digging bar and sharp shooter work pretty well. Since you're dealing with clay in Charlotte, if you're digging any more than a couple of holes, you may want to look into renting a tow-behind auger from Home Depot or similar. They make digging in clay and hard-pack a whole lot more bearable.

Also, a good rule of thumb is the hole should be three times the width of the support and the depth should be 1/3 the height of the sign. So a 4" post for example should be set in a 12" diameter pier. A sign that is 9' OAH should have approximately 3' of support below grade. And as Mosh said, you have to take into account the frost line. In your area it's only 10" I believe, so you'll be fine since most posts get set a minimum of 16" - 18".

I also bring one 5-gallon bucket of water per hole. It's more than enough, but it serves double duty as a way to remove the dirt from the hole from the site (assuming there's nowhere to dispose of it on site). I use Quikrete...once the post is in the hole, I dump in some Quikrete and some water from the 5-gallon bucket and mix it using a 4' length of rebar. By the time I've cleaned the tools and work area up, the Quikrete has set up enough to do a final check for plumb and level and make any needed adjustments.

Moze

Precision Sign Services

Edit: Now that I re-read your post, it sounds like you're talking about creating a hole in existing concrete to set a post into. If that's the case, the best method is to rent a core drill, drill your core, and then remove the required amount of dirt below the concrete. You can also use a rotary hammer to drill perimeter holes to achieve the desired hole diameter and then chisel that portion out, but that's a bit more work.

704signs

I wasn't very clear in my question ... I will have to core drill a hole in a slab for this sign and the final result must be clean where the sign meets top of the slab.

Pat Whatley

I gave up killing myself to make holes. If I need a hole in concrete or asphalt now I just call a local concrete cutting company. They've got the equipment and make perfect holes, all I have to do is mark where I want them.

Place your post in and pour PRE-MIXED concrete into the hole (not dry mix) until it's level. Smooth it out with a trowel and you're good to go. My holes are usually only inches larger than the post so there's very little smoothing to do and you'll have a nice clean look.

I've also seen them done with metal plates that you stick the posts through before installing them. Install the posts, let the concrete set up, then the plates can be slid down flush with the surface covering where the hole was. I'd assume they were siliconed into place. I've seen them where the place was just a metal disk and some that were a couple of inches thick adding a slight decorative touch.

signage

I gave up killing myself to make holes. If I need a hole in concrete or asphalt now I just call a local concrete cutting company. They've got the equipment and make perfect holes, all I have to do is mark where I want them.

Place your post in and pour PRE-MIXED concrete into the hole (not dry mix) until it's level. Smooth it out with a trowel and you're good to go. My holes are usually only inches larger than the post so there's very little smoothing to do and you'll have a nice clean look.
:goodpost:

signage

a narrow shovel for trenching or most narrow digging jobs

If this is what you are talking about the correct name is track spade or more recently known as drain spades.

Attachments

• track spade.jpg
    track spade.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 95

Moze

Precision Sign Services
If this is what you are talking about the correct name is... track spade or more recently known as drain spades.

...or sharp shooter, tile spade, hot shot, Bill Dookie, the list goes on...

There are a ton of "correct" names for it.

rjssigns

Find the guy in your area that does the parking post installs. They will have the equipment to drill through concrete then bore down 48" and fill the hole. Contractor in our area does it all with a Bobcat.

Gotta figure what you time and aching back are worth.