• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tips to apply and remove vinyl on top of vehicle that is wrapped?

SLagunaHillsArt

Are there any tips for applying vinyl on a vehicle that has already been wrapped. We recently applied some cut Orafol 651 Intermediate to a car that had been wrapped. There was some bubbling, but I'm not sure if this is because of the layer of vinyl underneath it.

We may have to remove the vinyl that was applied, any tips for safely doing so that won't harm the vehicles wrap? Thanks in advance!

LarryB

I wouldn’t do it. Keep in mind whenever you remove the 651 vinyl there is a good chance the underlying wrap will come up with it.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
1. You put a calandered vinyl on top of a cast. Calandered vinyl shrinks more than cast. So you are in effect “pulling” on the cast vinyl with the calandered. The bubbling you are getting might just be that you wrecked the underlying wrap!

2. 651 is a PERMANENT ADHESIVE!! More that likely you will wreck the underlying wrap if you were to remove this vinyl.

if you do have to remove it. Heat Gun to warm slightly and very slowly remove the 651

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Also......

1. How long have you been doing this? From your question it sounds like not too long. Hey not a bad thing, everyone has to learn. I’m not knocking you (or any one else for that matter)

2. Educate yourself! Calandered vs cast. Removable vs permanent etc etc etc

jimbug72

I'm not sure if I would try to use heat at all on the removal of the 651. Seems to me that heat applied to the top vinyl will likely transfer to the wrap vinyl which will likely soften the vinyl and adhesive of that vinyl as well.

SLagunaHillsArt

Also......

1. How long have you been doing this? From your question it sounds like not too long. Hey not a bad thing, everyone has to learn. I’m not knocking you (or any one else for that matter)

2. Educate yourself! Calandered vs cast. Removable vs permanent etc etc etc

Thanks for your advice. This job was a rush request from a client. Our production crew went to their location to apply the decals. I don't think they knew it was wrapped until after it bubbled and the owner informed them it may have happened because it was wrapped. This was definitely a learning process so I appreciate all the tips. We'll definitely have a mandatory is your car wrapped question for anyone interested in decals now.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I have pulled vinyl off of vinyl before very slowly with some heat...carefully and slowly...any signs of problems stop.

decalman

1. You put a calandered vinyl on top of a cast. Calandered vinyl shrinks more than cast. So you are in effect “pulling” on the cast vinyl with the calandered. The bubbling you are getting might just be that you wrecked the underlying wrap!

2. 651 is a PERMANENT ADHESIVE!! More that likely you will wreck the underlying wrap if you were to remove this vinyl.

if you do have to remove it. Heat Gun to warm slightly and very slowly remove the 651
That's correct. 651 on 651 only. Etc.

Bly

Yeah that's gonna pull up the wrap.
If you have to go over a wrap you have to use something with a removable adhesive like Retac.
Even with a removable wrap film the adhesive is going to want to stick to the vinyl due to it's chemistry.
It's designed to stick to the vinyl but be removable from paint or glass.

I am embarassed to ask this but what is the difference between calendared and cast. I am really new to vinyl, and I don't have anyone around to teach me. Everything I've done so far has been from videos and just figure out as I go by practicing first on scrap.