• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

To hem or not to hem?

DylanBJS

We just got in some 18oz double sided banner material with a blackout layer and i was wondering if people hem them like normal?

I could not find that specific question asked on google and i re phrased it like 5 times lol i ended up hemming it with the hem tape and grommets like i would a regular single side banner and it was definitely tougher to fold the creases but i was concerned that the grommets would pull out of the banner if i did not hem it.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
We didn't used to ever hem the 18oz banner. But there was one customer (IDK how they were hanging it or where) but it was getting trashed, so just the other day for the first time we hemmed their 18oz banner.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
I'd base it on it's use. If it's going to be up out in the elements longer term, or harsh environment I probably would. If it's going up short term, or indoors where it won't get much abuse, I wouldn't bother, 18oz is pretty beefy.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
We made some 40'x8' with 18oz with only hemmed the ends (with banner tape) like solventinkjet said but grommetted all the way around. The grommets haven't pulled out of them even after a couple of years of being up year round.