• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

To laminate or not to laminate?

bigwow

We used to have an GBC Orca Pro III - great device but it took quite a while to get the hang of it, laminating is a bit of an art. Then we got lazy and bought a CWT Table, the lamination is not quite as good as a high-end roll-to-roll, but I could teach you to use it in 5 minutes - and you'd have perfect laminates every time. You may well be able to get a cheap laminator to work, but the time and expense of doing so will be something to consider - and it really depends on how much lamination you are doing - if you are comfortable with it, you'll sell more...

Jackpine

The biggest reason I ask is because well I suck at laminating! I have a manual laminator one of those cheap Chinese one that does well with the thicker vinyl and laminate but this thin stuff really got me. I couldn’t imagine trying to laminate a wrap 54 inches! Has anybody tried And had good luck with the $2000 eBay Chinese motorize laminators? I really don’t want to invest much more than that
I have been laminating with "the Big Squeegee" from Dale Robinson. They work.

Cynosure

Invest a little more. The time saved over fighting with a cheaper laminating unit alone is worth it. We laminate everything for the abrasion protection as well. Last thing you want is to get a scuff on a new panel in route to a job site....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TimToad

Question for you people... if I’m using a vinyl such as Avery 1105 on a sign and the tech specifics say it’s a 10 year vinyl..... Roland Ecosol max is rated for 4 years un laminated and the 1630 laminating film I have is rated for 4 years would you bother to laminate something that is not on a vehicle such as a sign or storefront or such??

There are some pretty good liquid laminates that take some practice getting the application method under your belt, but that could be a worthwhile option. You can buy drums of the stuff before you'd even pay for a lousy used laminator.

AF

Everything has its place. Liquid, from what I have seen, can come out with a poor finish so there is a learning g curve to it like any other process. I just don’t see how a roller table, squeegee or liquid lam could compare to doing full rolls on a roll to roll. For small stuff, our shop gets a lot of use out of the Big Squeegee. Everything else goes through the AGL. Sleds are your friend.

jkdbjj

That’s too funny! I’m right across the river from Bangor! 2 minutes drive. I used to live in Harrisonburg Va. nice place! I grew up here though so had to come home. What does your wife do for work?
She’s in the medical field doing things at the various facilities up there.

TimToad

I have a gold squeegee with a microfiber edge after. It works for me.

So you apply the laminate to the print with the Big Squeegee and then as you are mounting the print to the substrate the force of your hand held squeegee and your arm is what bonds the laminate to the media?

I'm not judging, just curious about whether we should get a Big Squeegee for all the little jobs where we want to laminate them, but not unweb the laminator every time a different laminate is needed. Do you think its adequate for that purpose?

papabud

Lone Wolf
you really dont need much actual pressure to laminate with. the pressure is to push the air out. sometimes just the weight of a roller is enough. the glue sticks on contact