• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

To pre-mask decal or not?

ThePrinter

I was wondering what your guys opinion on whether or not I should pre-mask the decals I printed and cut.

There are three different size oval decals (19" x 12", 17" x 11", 9.5" x 6.5") for a school districts fleet vehicles.
They will be installing the decals themselves. I used Oracal 3551RA with 290G laminate.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

I would. Especially since they are installing and they are ovals. Ellipses can sometimes cause more issues then just a large sheet especially on a curve and for unexperienced persons.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Cut a rectangle around each oval, weed the area between the oval and the rectangle, mask and trim the mask to the rectangle. Now each oval is sitting in the middle of a rectangle. Much easier to register a rectangle than an oval. Especially if you've never done much of this sort of thing.

Snydo

With that material combo at those sizes even a novice should be able to get good results without mask. Throw some Velcro on one edge of a couple of cheap squeegees and let them have at it.

Drip Dry

Masking is always a debate here but, if the customer is installing, and it's just one piece (oval, bumper sticker style), why not give it to them unmasked and have them put it on wet. They can spray the backside, slide it around until their happy how it looks and then squeegee the water out.

Snydo

That is air-egress vinyl that lays like a dream without the air egress so they definitely should apply dry.