• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

To rivot or not to rivot....that is the question

We are a sign shop that has slowly been growing. Up until now we have done several car graphics but luckily they were all on the smaller scale and applied to flat surfaces on the vehicle.

I have had a furniture store approach me about doing the graphics for one of their new delivery trucks. The sides of the truck are flat except for a whole bunch of screw heads. I have seen numerous posts here on signs 101 where some people talk about removing the screws and others go right over them.

On the truck the customer had before this the previous sign shop went over the screws. We have to start the design process and the customer isn't sure if he wants me to put on just solid colored cut vinyl (Oracal 751) or do printed graphics. If he goes for printed graphics I'm looking for suggestions on what what be a good type of vinyl to use to go over the screws. Also what type of tools/techniques are needed to do this? Can anyone suggest a good book that shows this or maybe some youtube videos?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Cast wrapping film and cast laminate will go over most screws unless they are more like bolts.
All the big names (3M, Oracal etc) make a cast film/lam combo that will do what you want.
Stick with one of them and you can't go wrong.
Calendered films over screws or rivets are not recommended.

wayne k
guam usa

Thanks for the response. The sides of the truck are smaller screw heads. The door has what appears to more of a carriage bolt head. What would you suggest for going over the carriage bolt heads. From the inspection I did this evening I don't think I can easily remove the carriage bolts.

Will I need to apply heat from a heat gun when going over the screws or can you burnish right over them. Sorry for all of the questions about this, I just haven't seen this done yet....

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
You can go over a carriage bolt, but I would cut around the head after the vinyl is down to keep the vinyl from tenting around the bolt.
If you go with 3M a little Primer 94 brushed onto the bolts & screws will help the vinyl stay put, but is not always necessary.
You'll want to warm the material to lay it down over the screws then once it is down post heat it to "set" the vinyl in place. It has to be in the 200deg range. This takes some practice to get hot enough without burning.
Practice on some scrap over the screws before you commit to the printed graphics.
I wouldn't take the screws out of a new truck.

First one will be far from perfect but should pass if you allow enough install time to cover those "first time" mistakes everyone makes.

good luck

wayne k
guam usa

TedNes

Sounds like an older vehicle, but with screw heads, I always did a quick once over before going near the thing with vinyl.

Screw heads can have little sharp burrs on them....inspect the screws first, break anything off---you may even need to use a file....

don't take the screws out---go over them---cut them out if you have to......you have to learn to go over screws and rivets at some point.....

locknload1

Rivet Brush

I clean the rivets up really good with alcohol and go right over them using a rivet brush with a firm twisting motion and a little heat. Works for me...

Attachments

• Rivet Brush.jpg
    Rivet Brush.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 92