• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

To www or not to www...

iSign

strangely, that space is not there in my quick reply box, and goes away when I tried to edit also...

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
but type in a site name without the www and you'll get to it anyway.

This is not always the case. Its best to check first by typing it in yourself before you consider leaving out the "www"...

(although some browsers like FireFox will automatically try a domain name with www added if the name by itself comes up empty...)

Billct2

Like CSDD I have a hard time getting people to make an addy more readable w/ upper/lower case. As for www, I still find most people want it and as has been mentined it's OK with me because it gives balance to .com at the end

SignBurst PCs

It depends on where the website is hosted as far as needing the www or not, it's a protocol. Some sites have other prefixes like mail.website.com along with www.website.com etc & tells the server/browser where to go. Most hosting companies have it set up by default now to create both entries in their records, but I'll bet you a few still don't. As long as it works either way then whichever looks best in each instance is which one I use.

This is correct. There are more than a few websites that won't "resolve" if you don't use the www. Always make sure before you omit it.

GypsyGraphics

When I do have to put it in there I try to make the www and the .com a little bit smaller
and kern the w's closer... I want to emphasize the website and minimize the www/.com part. I like to cap major words also to make it easier to read if it makes sense to do that.

Kinda like the area code in a phone #. Does it REALLY have to be as big as the rest of the #?

exactly what i do, on every count!
leave it off when i can, if i can't make, make it smaller and i always capitalize major words for readability (unlike my typing here)

Joe Diaz

Speaking of caps, sometimes I will capitalize the first letter of words in multiple word web addresses so they are a bit easier to read. For example:

HomeLoansAndAllSortsOfStuffIncluding50Dollar4x4Signs.com

Well that is a bad example, but it's a little easier to read. :Big Laugh

Dave Drane

I always put it on, but I use different weights of the same font. Helvetica light for the www and heavy for the company name.