• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Too many "Designers"

ucmj22

So I'm making a logo for a client, and we narrow it down to the first image, then the clients wife gets involved and has me bastardize it until it looks like the second image... I get so tired of these clients that think they can design! why dont they do it themselves and leave me the hell alone!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-01-02 at 5.35.53 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-01-02 at 5.35.53 PM.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 116
  • Screen shot 2012-01-02 at 5.35.17 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-01-02 at 5.35.17 PM.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 105

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Hmm, I prefer the second one. The bullets are positioned correctly and it doesn't have an unfinished/run-on background that should be avoided with logos. The cut banner on each side looks a bit odd my opinion.

J

john1

I know how you feel, screw it....collect the check and go to the bizank!

ucmj22

The background is only to display white text variation of the logo. Neither are finished, but I suppose if you like a text layout Vs. a logo, #2 is for you

Flame

#1 is 10x better than #2 in my opinion. I totally hear where you're coming from, but eh, can't always win. Sometimes just have to collect the money and know THEY are the ones making the poor decision so it is THEIR business that might possibly suffer, not yours.

Some days I do hate being a designer though...

J

john1

Yeah, sometimes designing is fun and sometimes it's not so fun when people try to pretty much pay you to listen to them tell you how to design lol

I just finished up a layout for a 6 page newletter and i pretty much don't want to do another one again lol

Deaton Design

So then they can say, "I helped design our logo, you know..."
Imho, the first one is much better, than the second. Second one looks like a customer designed it...:)

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
When the customer goes into control freak mode and turns you into little more than a button pushing monkey you just have to emotionally detach yourself from the project and just get it done. At least that's what I do after a couple revisions.

Putting in my own 2¢ about the sample design, I think the first version is too intricate and busy. The year banners would give it trouble being reproduced at small sizes or being fully legible at far distances. Additionally, the use of Sarah Script (Letterhead Fonts) as a sub-head adds to the complication. Sarah Script is very much a headline typeface. For smaller, sub-head work I typically go with something more legible and neutral. Funny thing, Bank Gothic works very well in that regard.

signmeup

Have to agree with BobbyH... the first is too busy and my eyes go all around it trying focus on something. The script font doesn't work for the bullet list. I also think Bank Gothic would work better. I hate the little serifs(?) on Bank Gothic though... the ones inside the "C" and such. Anyone have a similar font without that on it?

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Agency by Font Bureau is a pretty good alternative to Bank Gothic. However, it is more technical looking and not as neutral as Bank Gothic. Serpentine Sans might be another possibility.

W

www.esigns.com

in my respectful opinion both are more of what I would refer to as 'sign layouts' rather than 'logos', not that there is anything wrong with that. But number 2 has more potential in my opinion for working into a more recognizeable, memorable 'logo'.

I would invest a little more time (if budget allows of course) and work with the client to build a recognizeable/brand versus a sign layout.

as always I'd recommend taking a look at SuperDan Antonelli's work for a little inspiration flip through his books for some inspiration and try to create a true logo and then the sign layout and multiple versions for the various uses-

-building signs
-vehicle signage
-corporate collatera
-etc

it's a good start and with a little tweaking can easily become a logo for the company.

JKADesigns

I LOVE the second one. The first one is too busy, second one screams "permanence", we've been around forever. The first one seems to say "1983"... Huh... new company is my first impression. Sometimes simpler is better. As someone else said, sell them a brand, not a sign. The second one is a brand, first one is just a sign.

signmeup

It just occurred to me that maybe we should ask "What would this look like burned into the side of a cow?" when we look at a logo.

ucmj22

I think this is the final... maybe...

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-01-03 at 1.43.10 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-01-03 at 1.43.10 PM.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 90