Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question too much black ink

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by shacho, Sep 30, 2018.

1. shacho

shacho Member

Aug 19, 2015
    canada
    I have just bought a soljet pro 4 and I am having trouble with my black. It's going on much too thick. I am using GCVP, high quality, Pre-Press U.S. Bi directional, and have all other controls "Use Printer Setting" it use to print good with my old VS540.

thx

Tags:
  2. AF

AF Active Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Ventura, CA
    Linearize and make a custom profile.

3. shacho

shacho Member

Aug 19, 2015
    canada
    I don't know how to do that. I googled it a nothing come up. do you know of a site that can guide me through this process. I forgot to mention that I am using Versaworks Dual could this be a problem? thx

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  4. Jester1167

Jester1167 Very Active Member

Try a 3m or Avery profile. Roland is in the business of selling ink. I bet they turn the ink limits way up.

5. Saturn

Saturn Member

Aug 14, 2018
    Oregon
    You might make sure your black build is not 100% 100% 100% 100% or something too rich.

6. Jester1167

Jester1167 Very Active Member

typically your rip should limit the total amount of solvent ink. Vinyl manufactures want that limited to around 280%. By the way you can reach a good solid black as low as 190% - C60 M30 Y00 K100.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. IDB Signs

IDB Signs Member

Aug 29, 2018
    Portland, TN
    What material are you using? Typically the manufacturers have boxed profiles on their sites for each different printer, RIP, etc. That would be a good starting point and probably the quickest to test out. The GCVP is just a generic profile, each material will retain and display inks differently.

8. Asuma01

Asuma01 Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Bend, OR
    If you can't make your own custom profiles I'll suggest you try to download different ones until you find something that works.